Calories Per Serving: approx 1
Preparation Time: 2 1/2 hours
Warm water, 2 cups
Dry yeast, 1 1/2 Tbsp
Bread flour, 1 1/2 lb.
Sugar, 1/2 oz. (1 Tbsp)
Salt, 1/2 oz. (1 Tbsp)
Melted butter 1/2 oz. (1 Tbsp)
Egg white, 1/2 fl. oz. (1 Tbsp) (reserve extra for wash)
Cooking Instructions:* Wisk yeast into the warm water, allowing to foam.
* In a bowl, combine flour, salt, and sugar and mix well.
* Wisk melted butter and egg white into yeast mixture, then stir in flour mixture.
* Mix with dough hooks at lo to medium speed for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
* Cover and rest for an hour or until doubled.
* Deflate and divide into 3 pieces (approx. 1/2 lb. each), round, and let rest for 10 minutes.
* Deflate and divide each 1/2 lb. piece into 6 equal pieces.
* Round and dust each slightly with flour, and rest for 10 minutes.
* Slightly flatten the rounds, and make star-shaped indentations.
* Place on baking sheets and brush on egg wash (made from the reserved egg white with approx.
* 1 tsp water added and mixed), and sprinkle with sesame seed or poppy seed.
* Cover with saran wrap and rest until approximately doubled.
* Preheat oven to 400 deg. F, and put a pan with boiling water on lowest rack (moisture is needed to create an outer hard crust - I use a cast-iron skillet for this - use caution).
* Bake 10 - 15 minutes or until golden brown.
* Cool on wire racks.
Additional Comments: Each roll will be 4 to 5 inches. Make bigger rounds if larger rolls are desired. I bake them one pan at a time - 9 rolls per pan.
(Breads) Kaiser Rolls
No replies to this topic