15 replies to this topic

#1 Sanners

Sanners

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

I know this has been posted before, but I just picked a large unit up two weeks ago, and I can say the best grilling investment ever!
Just needed to plug this little wonder of deliciousness again!

#2 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,134 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

I know this has been posted before, but I just picked a large unit up two weeks ago, and I can say the best grilling investment ever!
Just needed to plug this little wonder of deliciousness again!

Don't care, until you grill some ham.

#3 Doc

Doc

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,619 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

Don't care, until you grill some ham.

Is the ham supposed to be green as well?

#4 Chef Jim

Chef Jim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,524 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

It's good for grilling but fantastic for all day smoking.

#5 BillsFanNC

BillsFanNC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:36 PM

I've been kicking around the idea of buying one of these for a few years now. What size egg do you guys have?

#6 Chef Jim

Chef Jim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,524 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

I've been kicking around the idea of buying one of these for a few years now. What size egg do you guys have?

I have the medium which is good for us seeing it's just the wife and me. You can grill three maybe four ribeyes but that's it. It holds a couple of racks of pork ribs and will smoke a good sized pork butt. If you have a big family or parties you'll definitely want the large one.

#7 KD in CA

KD in CA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,624 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

I had never made good ribs before I had a BGE. Night and day.

Going to try a brisket at some point this summer.

#8 Peter

Peter

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,158 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

It is funny. I had never heard of the Big Green Egg until last week. I have a Weber, and I was also thinking about buying a china grill, smoker, and/or spit. I happened to speak to a guy here in Miami that told me, before I did anything, I needed to take a look at the Big Green Egg, because it would do everything that I wanted. He even said that I could do whole pigs or lambs in the thing.

He told me that I should probably get the extra large. I just called a place here in Miami (Norman Brothers) that has them for $1,099 and they will deliver, set it up, show me how to use it, and service it. I cannot stop by there this weekend (will be out of town), but I plan on stopping by the following weekend to check them out.

If any of you have any thoughts, ideas, or recommendation about the Big Green Egg, I would be interested in hearing about them.

#9 BillsFanNC

BillsFanNC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

It is funny. I had never heard of the Big Green Egg until last week. I have a Weber, and I was also thinking about buying a china grill, smoker, and/or spit. I happened to speak to a guy here in Miami that told me, before I did anything, I needed to take a look at the Big Green Egg, because it would do everything that I wanted. He even said that I could do whole pigs or lambs in the thing.

He told me that I should probably get the extra large. I just called a place here in Miami (Norman Brothers) that has them for $1,099 and they will deliver, set it up, show me how to use it, and service it. I cannot stop by there this weekend (will be out of town), but I plan on stopping by the following weekend to check them out.

If any of you have any thoughts, ideas, or recommendation about the Big Green Egg, I would be interested in hearing about them.

That's why I'm likely going to bite the bullet and buy one, I have a gas grill, charcoal grill and smoker. I can ditch them all for a BGE.

#10 Chef Jim

Chef Jim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,524 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

A word of caution or at least advice regarding the BGE. Get the wooden stand or build one to fit it. The metal stand with the wheels doesn't hold it too well. I've had the damn thing tip over on me several times and it's very heavy.

#11 Beerball

Beerball

The Humpty & Dumpty Show

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,585 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

A word of caution or at least advice regarding the BGE. Get the wooden stand or build one to fit it. The metal stand with the wheels doesn't hold it too well. I've had the damn thing tip over on me several times and it's very heavy.

Thanks for the advice but I don't need any advice.

#12 Guffalo

Guffalo

Perpetuating useful fiction since 1960

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

I've had the damn thing tip over on me several times and it's very heavy.

tipping over a few times? , heavy? Sounds like its a Beerball,

#13 plenzmd1

plenzmd1

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,386 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

So I have had the Large for about two years now. Love it, but as Chef has mentioned really better as an all day smoker or more of an oven type(think beer can chicken, pork loin roast etc) than a high heat, high sear grill. I do use it as a grill quite often, but the temp control is the real strength of the unit.

In retrospect, I would spend the extra and get the XL. I have purchsed a raised half rack that can increase the cooking area, and that works fine, but I still wish had the XL. In terms of smoking whole critters on there..that would be a big fat no! A whole bird like a turkey or goose,yes and a whole fish..yes..but not a pig or a lamb...

In terms of accesories, i only bought the platesetter.That is essential to smoke as it provides the indirect heat to smoke properly. I also use it when cooking in the 300 to 400 range. I know one of the benefits of the Egg is it is supoosed to eliminate the need for a water pan, but I still find the extra moisture can be beneficial, as well as it acts as a drip pan and makes cleanup easier. If you leave that platesetter with crud on it..can impart some funk tatse in your next smoke. So I use a water pan both smoking and cooking.

I have somewhat of a built in shelf where it was going, so no need for the shelves..but other people I know can not live without them. I also purchased the Metal Nest that Chef mentioned..I have had no issues with tipping, but mine only gets moved when I power wash that section of the patio.But if you buy a XL and that fugger tips..go rent a crane to get it upright, as Chef mentioned they weigh a ton.

One last note, this thing is essential for smoking.If you start to do large butts or briskets and need to start your smoke at 2 AM, great to have this alarm to let you know what your temp looks like. Also helpful as your dome temp can be differant than the temp where the meat is..so much more accurate reading than the guage that comes standard. I also like to know exectely the what the temp the meat is without having to open the dome several times....if you're looking you aint cooking!
http://www.firecraft...thermometers#sf

I have not been able to do chit with regards to baking pizza, cobblers etc in there. They look great, but my crust always comes out like chit..but others love cokking pizza on it.

One other thing..unfortuntely from expereince..take the burping when at high temp very seriously. Those flames scorch like a bastard. As a side not to that, tell the dealer to install the high temp gasket..proll wont but cant hurt to ask. My original gasket burned off quite quick..as a direct result of not burping :wallbash: . High temp one good to go and have had for 18 months. Good pair of grill gloves essential as well.

BTW, dealers cannot mark down the price of the EGG, but they can accesories. Tell em at the very least to throw in 2 or 3 large bags of charcoal :thumbsup:

Edited by plenzmd1, 16 May 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#14 Peter

Peter

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,158 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:00 PM

Great thoughts/recommendations. Thanks.

So I have had the Large for about two years now. Love it, but as Chef has mentioned really better as an all day smoker or more of an oven type(think beer can chicken, pork loin roast etc) than a high heat, high sear grill. I do use it as a grill quite often, but the temp control is the real strength of the unit.

In retrospect, I would spend the extra and get the XL. I have purchsed a raised half rack that can increase the cooking area, and that works fine, but I still wish had the XL. In terms of smoking whole critters on there..that would be a big fat no! A whole bird like a turkey or goose,yes and a whole fish..yes..but not a pig or a lamb...

In terms of accesories, i only bought the platesetter.That is essential to smoke as it provides the indirect heat to smoke properly. I also use it when cooking in the 300 to 400 range. I know one of the benefits of the Egg is it is supoosed to eliminate the need for a water pan, but I still find the extra moisture can be beneficial, as well as it acts as a drip pan and makes cleanup easier. If you leave that platesetter with crud on it..can impart some funk tatse in your next smoke. So I use a water pan both smoking and cooking.

I have somewhat of a built in shelf where it was going, so no need for the shelves..but other people I know can not live without them. I also purchased the Metal Nest that Chef mentioned..I have had no issues with tipping, but mine only gets moved when I power wash that section of the patio.But if you buy a XL and that fugger tips..go rent a crane to get it upright, as Chef mentioned they weigh a ton.

One last note, this thing is essential for smoking.If you start to do large butts or briskets and need to start your smoke at 2 AM, great to have this alarm to let you know what your temp looks like. Also helpful as your dome temp can be differant than the temp where the meat is..so much more accurate reading than the guage that comes standard. I also like to know exectely the what the temp the meat is without having to open the dome several times....if you're looking you aint cooking!
http://www.firecraft...thermometers#sf

I have not been able to do chit with regards to baking pizza, cobblers etc in there. They look great, but my crust always comes out like chit..but others love cokking pizza on it.

One other thing..unfortuntely from expereince..take the burping when at high temp very seriously. Those flames scorch like a bastard. As a side not to that, tell the dealer to install the high temp gasket..proll wont but cant hurt to ask. My original gasket burned off quite quick..as a direct result of not burping :wallbash: . High temp one good to go and have had for 18 months. Good pair of grill gloves essential as well.

BTW, dealers cannot mark down the price of the EGG, but they can accesories. Tell em at the very least to throw in 2 or 3 large bags of charcoal :thumbsup:

#15 Sanners

Sanners

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

I got the large with nest and place setter. Grilling 2 inch steaks at high temps is amazing. The heat that this thing generates is awesome.

Other than that I agree with the other posts that smoking and slow cooking is the best.

Place setter is a must.

#16 stuckinny

stuckinny

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

I have seen them and have had the opportunity to sell them. CUrrently using a Traeger wood pellet grill, we sold them for awhile and I took the free demo one home. It works well for anything and cooks with wood, definitly unique, and can smoke as well obviously