15 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,925 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:00 PM

Im currently at 162 lbs and 5'10'' and according to some body fat calculators im somewhere between 9 and 12 % body fat. id really like to be at 7% by the end of the year.

I work out 3-4 times a week mostly lifting weights, an ab and core workout and a 20 min run. Lately ive been trying to run each day and eat a little better but I've plateaued as of late. Any suggestions?

#2 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,238 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

How many calories are you consuming daily? Tracking both calories in and calories out should let you know what you need to do to get down. I really like myfitnesspal for doing so.

#3 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,925 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

How many calories are you consuming daily? Tracking both calories in and calories out should let you know what you need to do to get down. I really like myfitnesspal for doing so.

Honestly I dont know. Will that site help me keep track?

#4 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,238 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

Honestly I dont know. Will that site help me keep track?

My favorite is myfitnesspal.com. Great food database, great mobile apps, makes it really easy.

Feel free to add me on there, my username is chillyw

#5 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,925 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:11 PM

My favorite is myfitnesspal.com. Great food database, great mobile apps, makes it really easy.

Feel free to add me on there, my username is chillyw

alright im byrnestj7. Ill add ya now

#6 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,238 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

alright im byrnestj7. Ill add ya now

Cool. Front page is a Facebook like feed, and the community is pretty awesome, a lot of people just wanting to help each other out. There are a lot of certified personal trainers on there that answer questions on their community side.

If you setup MFP right, with your activity levels and are honest with calories you eat, it works really well. I've lost a good amount of weight on there (lot closer to my goal than other sites I've used - and when I was stagnant using other methods).

Edited by BlueFire, 16 October 2012 - 08:20 PM.

#7 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,925 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

Cool. Front page is a Facebook like feed, and the community is pretty awesome, a lot of people just wanting to help each other out. There are a lot of certified personal trainers on there that answer questions on their community side.

If you setup MFP right, with your activity levels and are honest with calories you eat, it works really well. I've lost a good amount of weight on there (lot closer to my goal than other sites I've used - and when I was stagnant using other methods).

Ya it looks like a good site. Ill have to keep on it haha

#8 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,761 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

Alternative diets help. I am not a big fan of doing these trendy diets but altering your diet can help. Replace foods that you eat with ones that are healthier. Sure it is better to eat a carrot then a bag of skittles, but understanding that even a carrot is not the best option is important.
One thing I do often is take the course of 2 or 3 weeks, find one thing I eat often as part of my normal diet and eliminate it. I replace it with something else.
Other then diet, which is the biggest part, it is hard training. At my best I was 6' 2 1/2" 194 lbs. and just under 3% body fat, of course that was when I was 19. When I was 27, 28, I was 225 lbs. and 4.5%, though. I worked out like crazy. If you have the option join Crossfit. It is a great program and if I could afford it (time to travel 45 minutes round trip) I would join.

#9 John Adams

John Adams

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

Alternative diets help. I am not a big fan of doing these trendy diets but altering your diet can help. Replace foods that you eat with ones that are healthier. Sure it is better to eat a carrot then a bag of skittles, but understanding that even a carrot is not the best option is important.
One thing I do often is take the course of 2 or 3 weeks, find one thing I eat often as part of my normal diet and eliminate it. I replace it with something else.
Other then diet, which is the biggest part, it is hard training. At my best I was 6' 2 1/2" 194 lbs. and just under 3% body fat, of course that was when I was 19. When I was 27, 28, I was 225 lbs. and 4.5%, though. I worked out like crazy. If you have the option join Crossfit. It is a great program and if I could afford it (time to travel 45 minutes round trip) I would join.

You can do crossfit anywhere. Don't need much equipment.

#10 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,761 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

You can do crossfit anywhere. Don't need much equipment.

I like structure, dichotomy. I do not want to start training on my farm, although ideal, because I do not want to associate something I do for fun and work for something I do for fun and fitness. Call me crazy. I also need somewhere I can escape the farm and life, if that makes sense. Of all the sports I have played I miss wrestling the most, somewhere you can just get it all out and leave it.

#11 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

I'm patently against any diet that restricts carbs, but I believe wholeheartedly in adjusting when you consume them. You'd never guess it by my current physical condition, but from the time I was a kid all the way up into my late 20s I was a very well conditioned athlete. In the early 90's I got into weights and bodybuilding with a buddy, and one thing I learned at the time was the idea of restricting carbs at night. Carbs are your brain's preferred food. Of carbs, proteins, and fats, carbs are what are most easily broken down into glucose. When they are available, that's what gets used first. When carbs are not present, your body will rely on it's fat stores and initiate a process called gluconeogenesis. JUST before it does that, however, it will use up the "reserve" carbs that are in your liver in the form of glycogen. When you limit carbs at night, your body will start lookign for the glycogen. When that is used up, it will start breaking down the fat through the process I just mentioned. So by limiting your evening intake to proteins and fats at night (again, I do NOT advocate restricting carbs in general...you NEED carbs!!), you basically put your body into a fat burning mode. This, by itself, will be effective, but if on top of this you go through even a light workout in the morning, before your breakfast, you'll really supercharge this process. The, of course, with breakfast you have plenty of carbs ;)

Hope that helps!

#12 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,787 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I'm patently against any diet that restricts carbs, but I believe wholeheartedly in adjusting when you consume them. You'd never guess it by my current physical condition, but from the time I was a kid all the way up into my late 20s I was a very well conditioned athlete. In the early 90's I got into weights and bodybuilding with a buddy, and one thing I learned at the time was the idea of restricting carbs at night. Carbs are your brain's preferred food. Of carbs, proteins, and fats, carbs are what are most easily broken down into glucose. When they are available, that's what gets used first. When carbs are not present, your body will rely on it's fat stores and initiate a process called gluconeogenesis. JUST before it does that, however, it will use up the "reserve" carbs that are in your liver in the form of glycogen. When you limit carbs at night, your body will start lookign for the glycogen. When that is used up, it will start breaking down the fat through the process I just mentioned. So by limiting your evening intake to proteins and fats at night (again, I do NOT advocate restricting carbs in general...you NEED carbs!!), you basically put your body into a fat burning mode. This, by itself, will be effective, but if on top of this you go through even a light workout in the morning, before your breakfast, you'll really supercharge this process. The, of course, with breakfast you have plenty of carbs ;)

Hope that helps!

There are plenty of carbs in veggies. I think what is important is cutting any sugar carbs. Anything from rice, bread etc. Load up on the broccoli and the other icky stuff :P

#13 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

There are plenty of carbs in veggies. I think what is important is cutting any sugar carbs. Anything from rice, bread etc. Load up on the broccoli and the other icky stuff :P

Most veggies have very few carbs. The exceptions are the starchy ones like corn and potatoes. I think certain types of peas, as well, but most of the other stuff - cauliflower, greens, broccoli, cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, radishes, carrots, cabbage, green beans, asparagus, beets, etc, etc have next to none. I'm not sure about carrots...I'll have to look that one up.

When I was heavy into my lifting program, I'd load up on oatmeal, bagels, cereals, and other starchy carbs in the morning....tame it down for lunch....and have almost no carbs for dinner. I'd also eat about 6 meals per day, about every 3 hrs. If you take a 2000 calorie day, you'll burn off more of it by dividing those calories up into 6 meals than you would if you only had 3 meals. Reason being, your body's metabolism will have to fire up each time you eat...so if you do that more often in a day WITHOUT increasing the overall calories, your basal metabolism will be higher.

Edited by ajzepp, 16 November 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#14 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,238 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

Hope that helps!

http://anthonycolpo....iets-dont-work/

http://www.simplyshr...-boogeyman.html

http://www.scienceda...21111153640.htm

Most veggies have very few carbs. The exceptions are the starchy ones like corn and potatoes. I think certain types of peas, as well, but most of the other stuff - cauliflower, greens, broccoli, cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, peppers, radishes, carrots, cabbage, green beans, asparagus, beets, etc, etc have next to none. I'm not sure about carrots...I'll have to look that one up.

When I was heavy into my lifting program, I'd load up on oatmeal, bagels, cereals, and other starchy carbs in the morning....tame it down for lunch....and have almost no carbs for dinner. I'd also eat about 6 meals per day, about every 3 hrs. If you take a 2000 calorie day, you'll burn off more of it by dividing those calories up into 6 meals than you would if you only had 3 meals. Reason being, your body's metabolism will have to fire up each time you eat...so if you do that more often in a day WITHOUT increasing the overall calories, your basal metabolism will be higher.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19943985

Edited by BlueFire, 18 November 2012 - 04:38 AM.

#15 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:33 AM

http://anthonycolpo....iets-dont-work/

http://www.simplyshr...-boogeyman.html

http://www.scienceda...21111153640.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/19943985

The first three articles you quoted have nothing to do with what I said.

The last one appears to be research that is more current than my nutrition education, so that's good to know.

EDIT: Actually, at the end of that simply shredded article they basically say the exact same thing that I said. Go back and read about why they believe the group that consumed high carbs at night lost weight vs the other group.

Edited by ajzepp, 18 November 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#16 Adam

Adam

Another burned out Wannabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,238 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Im currently at 162 lbs and 5'10'' and according to some body fat calculators im somewhere between 9 and 12 % body fat. id really like to be at 7% by the end of the year.

I work out 3-4 times a week mostly lifting weights, an ab and core workout and a 20 min run. Lately ive been trying to run each day and eat a little better but I've plateaued as of late. Any suggestions?

Have you tried protein smoothies for meals? I went from 215 to 163 in less than a year, between that and working out.