11 replies to this topic

#1 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Last year, I lost a bunch of weight, added some muscle, and made good new habits, but over the past couple months I've gotten back out of those and gained some weight back.

Since it takes 2 weeks to form a new habit, I'm looking to get myself back into it with a 21-day challenge (and after that, I'll be off to Vegas for March Madness for a few days).

My challenge has a few simple goals to get me back into it:

- 1600 calories/day max
- Fruits & Vegetables as part of the daily diet
- Get some type of exercise every day
- No alcohol (with one exception - we're planning on visiting a winery next month).

I'll be posting daily updates on this. If anyone wants to join me, feel free.

#2 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Day 1: Success. Rode my bike and had all homemade food.

#3 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,904 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

Day 1: Success. Rode my bike and had all homemade food.

Good for you. I'm going to the gym after work. I'm currently on a once a week schedule, I hope to get in the habit of going twice a week soon.

#4 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

Good for you. I'm going to the gym after work. I'm currently on a once a week schedule, I hope to get in the habit of going twice a week soon.

Nice. Yeah, it's helped a lot finding an activity to get me back into it again, although my ass is really sore lol.

Day 2 and 3 - Been on my bike a lot, although I did overeat yesterday with my friend coming over. Can't keep doing that.

#5 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,807 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Last year, I lost a bunch of weight, added some muscle, and made good new habits, but over the past couple months I've gotten back out of those and gained some weight back.

Since it takes 2 weeks to form a new habit, I'm looking to get myself back into it with a 21-day challenge (and after that, I'll be off to Vegas for March Madness for a few days).

My challenge has a few simple goals to get me back into it:

- 1600 calories/day max
- Fruits & Vegetables as part of the daily diet
- Get some type of exercise every day
- No alcohol (with one exception - we're planning on visiting a winery next month).

I'll be posting daily updates on this. If anyone wants to join me, feel free.

Something that I've pretty much made a part of my daily routine is as little carbs as possible. Mostly protein and lots of veggies. Some fruits but not overdoing it because of the level of sugar. You should keep yourself one cheat day per week. The goal is to be reasonable so you don't flip out.

There are some good articles from this site. My personal trainer is certified from here:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/

#6 UConn James

UConn James

I'm a little behind on my paperwork

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

I've had some of my own stuff going on lately. Had a panic attack in mid-Jan. that ran kind of alongside a cold, lost 10 pounds that I maybe could've afforded to lose from my stomach/spare tire area, but which really took a toll (was 6' 167 previously) with some longstanding depression and what was deemed highly likely to have a mild Asperger's by someone close to me who works extensively in the field but just never broached the topic with me until I started talking about this stuff. In some ways not typical --- I guess that's why it's a broad spectrum --- and in other ways I read some stuff that I recognize very much and explains of LOT of things. It's nice to have a little anonymity of the Internet for this, yeah? But it feels good to be able to get it off my chest a bit. Anyway, I started on an SSRI... Citalopram.

Started working out a bit doing sit-ups, limited weights and walking with my dog 2-3 miles most days. Kind of shaky still. Had a bad bout of insomnia for a few weeks. Really hellish. My appetite since this all started has been BLAH but I've just been forcing myself and seem to have stabilized at about 157-8. My mindset has gotten a lot better in the past month, like a fog lifting. Have been running the same 2-3 miles three times this past week. In the cold. Getting a little easier on the legs, but the breathing in the cold is tough --- couldn't take in via my nose this morning.

Maybe this should be in it's own thread rather than hijacking BlueFire's... but it just inspired me to share a bit.

#7 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Ended up going to a party last night and having alcohol, but still didn't eat too bad. I made some buffalo chicken chili for the party that was delicious.

I'll weigh myself at the end of this week. Today's starting out good food wise, need to make sure I get a walk in later.

#8 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

Something that I've pretty much made a part of my daily routine is as little carbs as possible. Mostly protein and lots of veggies. Some fruits but not overdoing it because of the level of sugar. You should keep yourself one cheat day per week. The goal is to be reasonable so you don't flip out.

There are some good articles from this site. My personal trainer is certified from here:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/

Nice, thanks.

I've had some of my own stuff going on lately. Had a panic attack in mid-Jan. that ran kind of alongside a cold, lost 10 pounds that I maybe could've afforded to lose from my stomach/spare tire area, but which really took a toll (was 6' 167 previously) with some longstanding depression and what was deemed highly likely to have a mild Asperger's by someone close to me who works extensively in the field but just never broached the topic with me until I started talking about this stuff. In some ways not typical --- I guess that's why it's a broad spectrum --- and in other ways I read some stuff that I recognize very much and explains of LOT of things. It's nice to have a little anonymity of the Internet for this, yeah? But it feels good to be able to get it off my chest a bit. Anyway, I started on an SSRI... Citalopram.

Started working out a bit doing sit-ups, limited weights and walking with my dog 2-3 miles most days. Kind of shaky still. Had a bad bout of insomnia for a few weeks. Really hellish. My appetite since this all started has been BLAH but I've just been forcing myself and seem to have stabilized at about 157-8. My mindset has gotten a lot better in the past month, like a fog lifting. Have been running the same 2-3 miles three times this past week. In the cold. Getting a little easier on the legs, but the breathing in the cold is tough --- couldn't take in via my nose this morning.

Maybe this should be in it's own thread rather than hijacking BlueFire's... but it just inspired me to share a bit.

Don't mind the thread hijack at all.

Sorry you're going through those struggles, that's tough. It's good that you're stepping up to the plate and not sitting down, though. Great response to it. If you can do it - there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to too!

I too have had a bout of depression in the past. I had a tough time adjusting when I first got to college (really sheltered childhood), and fell into a bout of depression. Ended up on Zoloft (also an SSRI). It's a lifesaver, but those drugs are also scary. When you're ready to come off of it, make sure you stay close with your doctor - the side effects can be nasty and tapering off can really help. I ran into some and had to come off VERY slowly.

#9 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,807 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Ended up going to a party last night and having alcohol, but still didn't eat too bad. I made some buffalo chicken chili for the party that was delicious.

I'll weigh myself at the end of this week. Today's starting out good food wise, need to make sure I get a walk in later.

The goal is to be reasonable since it should be more of a lifestyle change than a diet because diets end but lifestyles go on forever. Your goal should also be fat loss rather than weight loss since they don't necessarily always go hand in hand.

#10 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,294 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

The goal is to be reasonable since it should be more of a lifestyle change than a diet because diets end but lifestyles go on forever. Your goal should also be fat loss rather than weight loss since they don't necessarily always go hand in hand.

Yeah, I agree with both of those sentiments, and I'm trying to find a balance I can live by.

Doing well this week, enjoying the food I'm eating, and getting exercise in after work most days on the bike.

Saving a "cheat" day for Saturday, as we're going to the Texas wine country. Should be fun!

#11 meazza

meazza

ASR 1927

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,807 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, I agree with both of those sentiments, and I'm trying to find a balance I can live by.

Doing well this week, enjoying the food I'm eating, and getting exercise in after work most days on the bike.

Saving a "cheat" day for Saturday, as we're going to the Texas wine country. Should be fun!

You should make yourself lean meat salads with veggies and maybe a slice of goat cheese. Eat that twice a day with protein shakes and a container of greek yogurt in the morning.

#12 Captain Hindsight

Captain Hindsight

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,955 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

Nice, thanks.

Don't mind the thread hijack at all.

Sorry you're going through those struggles, that's tough. It's good that you're stepping up to the plate and not sitting down, though. Great response to it. If you can do it - there's no reason why I shouldn't be able to too!

I too have had a bout of depression in the past. I had a tough time adjusting when I first got to college (really sheltered childhood), and fell into a bout of depression. Ended up on Zoloft (also an SSRI). It's a lifesaver, but those drugs are also scary. When you're ready to come off of it, make sure you stay close with your doctor - the side effects can be nasty and tapering off can really help. I ran into some and had to come off VERY slowly.

Depression sucks. I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. Most days I'm fine, which is good because after the amount of time I spent in therapy I should be able to handle it.

I find if I dont work out for a while my anxiety and panic attacks come back. I'm off prozac now for about 3 years (My goal was to live without them the day I was put of them) but working out has been the best thing for me. I look better and feel better as a result.