Photo

Free Agency Changes: All Owners MUST READ!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 R. Rich

R. Rich

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,465 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

First off, I still have not received the new player rankings. I anticipate the rankings will be out some time this week or early next week. Once I get 'em, I will post the rankings so that all the owners can begin to plan their strategy for stockin' their teams.

Speakin of, we will NOT be doin' a draft to stock our teams this time. The teams will be stocked via an auction, the same process we use to do free agency in the offseason.

LEAGUE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS

After the auction is completed, each team must have these minimum requirements:

2 QBs
2 RBs
1 FB
4 WRs
1 TE
7 OL (1 C, 2 OGs, 2 OTs, 2 reserves)
6 DL (2 DTs, 2 DEs, 2 reserves)
6 LBs (1 ILB, 2 OLB, 3 reserves)
7 DBs (2 CBs, 2 S, 3 reserves)
1 K
1 P
1 KR
1 PR
1 LS
1 HLD

NOTE: Every team MUST have a total of 53 players once the auction is completed!

FREE AGENCY AUCTION

The auction will be broken up into 9 rounds:

Round 1: QBs
Round 2: RBs/FBs
Round 3: WRs/TEs
Round 4: OL
Round 5: DL
Round 6: LBs
Round 7: DBs
Round 8: Special Teams (K/P/KR/PR/LS/HLD)
Round 9: Clean-Up

By the end of EACH round, each team should have the league minimum requirement for the position. Those who do not must wait 'til the Clean-Up round to get to the minimum. Any team that does not meet the minimum requirements will face penalties by the Commissioner.

SALARY STRUCTURES AND FREE AGENT BIDDING

When submitting your bids, they should look like this:

Louisiana Rage: QB Tom Brady, 4 years starting @ $3M ($19.7M total)
Year 1: $3M
Year 2: $3.6M
Year 3: $5.04M
Year 4: $8.06M

[Salary tables will be posted later.]

Players are awarded based on highest total salary offered. In the case of a tie bid, the teams involved in a tie will re-bid and the highest bidder will win. To limit a logjam of maxed out bids, ALL TEAMS WILL BE LIMITED TO ONE PLAYER W/ A 5 YEAR-$10M A YEAR CONTRACT.

In the case of a tie w/ maxed out bids (5 years, $10M per year; total of $50M), the player will be selected by a random drawin'. Keep in mind that you can only have ONE max bid (in order to prevent a logjam of bids on every player), so use is sparingly.

NOTE: It is important that all owners pay close attention to their salary cap situation during the course of the auction. Having teams finish the auction over the salary cap is not acceptable. Those who do will be subject to penalties from the Commissioner.

If there are any questions on the auction procedure, feel free to contact me. Thanks, and good luck to all.

#2 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Can we do conditional bids? E.g.: Bid on these 2 QBs, if lose QB #1, bid on QB #3, etc.

#3 TakeYouToTasker

TakeYouToTasker

The smartest man in the room.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

Can we do conditional bids? E.g.: Bid on these 2 QBs, if lose QB #1, bid on QB #3, etc.

My assumption was that each player would be called, one by one, and auctioned off; then the next player's auction would begin.

Also, are we advancing the players to be called for auction, or are you Rich?

#4 R. Rich

R. Rich

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,465 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:02 AM

You can, and probably should, in order to keep your cap from gettin' jacked up.

My assumption was that each player would be called, one by one, and auctioned off; then the next player's auction would begin.

Also, are we advancing the players to be called for auction, or are you Rich?

Don't ASSume.....you know the rest.

The auction is a "silent" auction. Teams can bid on any of the players available (remember, once the player rankings come out, I will post 'em; 'til then, we don't know exactly who is available) when their round is up. For example, all QBs and ONLY QBs are availble to be bid on in Round 1 (QB round). Once that's done, we go on to Round 2 (RBs/FBs). And so on...

#5 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,237 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

One more question: How will a tie bid between max contracts be handled?

#6 R. Rich

R. Rich

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,465 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

One more question: How will a tie bid between max contracts be handled?

Ah, the $64M question.

Tough one, but I have decided to do a drawin' of the tie bids in the case of max contracts. Remember, you can only put in ONE max bid, so use it sparingly. Plus, you don't want your team to be in cap hell right out the gate anyway (got that, Green Bay?).

#7 TakeYouToTasker

TakeYouToTasker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Will we get an update of the other teams, and their cap and salary situation after each round of the auction? That will have alot to do with various bidding strategies.

I still think it would make more sense to go player by player, with a schedule of when each player will be auctioned, but that's obviously up to the commish.

#8 R. Rich

R. Rich

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,465 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Will we get an update of the other teams, and their cap and salary situation after each round of the auction? That will have alot to do with various bidding strategies.

I still think it would make more sense to go player by player, with a schedule of when each player will be auctioned, but that's obviously up to the commish.

Yes, the results of each round will be posted once the round is completed.

As for doin' a player by player auction....you do realize each of the 24 teams needs to stock 53 players on their roster, don't you? That would make for the longest auction in recorded history.

#9 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,237 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Did I miss the qb rankings?

#10 R. Rich

R. Rich

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,465 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

They weren't listed for some reason. I posted what they sent me.

#11 The Jokeman

The Jokeman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Ah, the $64M question.

Tough one, but I have decided to do a drawin' of the tie bids in the case of max contracts. Remember, you can only put in ONE max bid, so use it sparingly. Plus, you don't want your team to be in cap hell right out the gate anyway (got that, Green Bay?).

Are you trying to say our cap is going to be $64M?

Edited by The Jokeman, 18 April 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#12 R. Rich

R. Rich

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,465 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

Are you trying to say our cap is going to be $64M?

Hahaha!!! Not quite. Check the Rules and Regulations.

#13 The Jokeman

The Jokeman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

Hahaha!!! Not quite. Check the Rules and Regulations.

Found it, $95M for those who haven't.

#14 Ramius

Ramius

Don't Tread on Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,424 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Is the cap going to increase this time around? Last time it didn't, which made things very cumbersome to hold a decent team together by about year 3.

#15 R. Rich

R. Rich

Carpal Tunnel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,465 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

Is the cap going to increase this time around? Last time it didn't, ...

It's in the Rules and Regulations, plus someone else posted 'bout it in this very thread.

... which made things very cumbersome to hold a decent team together by about year 3.

Precisely why it was done. Things bog down quickly when everyone can just retain their team forever and there's very little movement free agency-wise.

#16 Swiftalo12

Swiftalo12

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

I'd like to suggest that we do some less critical positions other than the QB for the first couple of rounds so some of us newbs can get a feel for how this auction works before we fill our critical positions like QB and RB.

Also, Do you have an idea when we are going to get this started? How long will each round last?

Thanks

#17 Chilly

Chilly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,237 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'd like to suggest that we do some less critical positions other than the QB for the first couple of rounds so some of us newbs can get a feel for how this auction works before we fill our critical positions like QB and RB.

Also, Do you have an idea when we are going to get this started? How long will each round last?

Thanks

It's new to all of us, as we've never done an auction before.

I think QB first might be the best, as the amount of money you spend on QB will set/change budgets quickly.

#18 The Jokeman

The Jokeman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

It's new to all of us, as we've never done an auction before.

I think QB first might be the best, as the amount of money you spend on QB will set/change budgets quickly.

The only issue is if somehow someone is locked out of a QB as with the league so large there's a slight chance a team won't get a starting QB if someone misses the auction and/or underbids guys because with the first auction it's tough to gauge where others will be bidding.

Edited by The Jokeman, 10 May 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#19 TakeYouToTasker

TakeYouToTasker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,180 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

The only issue is if somehow someone is locked out of a QB as with the league so large there's a slight chance a team won't get a starting QB if someone misses the auction and/or underbids guys because with the first auction it's tough to gauge where others will be bidding.

Exactly. Mass auction bidding by entire positions is going to be an absolute nightmare.

Each position bidding should minimally be done by tier. Tier 1 QB's first, Tier 2 second, tier 3 third, tier 4 fourth, the the rest of the QB's. At least this way folks will have a better idea of where they stand as things progress.

#20 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

When it's too tough for them it's just right for us

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,112 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:03 PM

Thats a great idea about the different tiers