26 replies to this topic

#21 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,894 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Are you sure you're a farmer? Shouldn't you be saying stuff like "Dang gum, I's don't know all this fancy smart phone stuff. I's pick up the receiver on my home phone, and asks the operator 'Mabel! Git me Johnny down at the feed store' and next thing ya know, Johnny is taking my order for more feed. Why, thats bein' smart."

I wear many hats. They go with my dresses.

#22 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,662 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

I have an idea for a small non touch screen pared down tablet.

Instead of a touch screen, there's a mousewheel/trackball that you can sanitize after use
The screen will have a thin protective layer that can also be sanitized
The shell will also be safe to sanitize

There won't be all kinds of fancy games or apps. Just a basic browser with wi-fi, Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/etc, and some quick games

So why so pared down and the focus on sanitizing? Because the idea is you take it into the bathroom with you and pass the time while you do your business. Nobody reads newspapers or magazines anymore, and do you really want to take that $500 tablet into the bathroom with you? And then theres the whole touch screen problem

Or maybe buy a cheaper model that you can take with you into the bathroom?

I even have a name for them...Craplets or the iPoo

Edited by /dev/null, 26 August 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#23 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,894 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

I have an idea for a small non touch screen pared down tablet.

Instead of a touch screen, there's a mousewheel/trackball that you can sanitize after use
The screen will have a thin protective layer that can also be sanitized
The shell will also be safe to sanitize

There won't be all kinds of fancy games or apps. Just a basic browser with wi-fi, Netflix/Hulu/Youtube/etc, and some quick games

So why so pared down and the focus on sanitizing? Because the idea is you take it into the bathroom with you and pass the time while you do your business. Nobody reads newspapers or magazines anymore, and do you really want to take that $500 tablet into the bathroom with you? And then theres the whole touch screen problem

Or maybe buy a cheaper model that you can take with you into the bathroom?

I even have a name for them...Craplets or the iPoo

I never user mine on the toilet. for the record.

#24 shrader

shrader

Pleased but sticky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

I'm not sure how often people check over here, but I figured I'd give this thread a shot. I'm looking to get a tablet for the wife for Christmas. It will be mostly for home use, so I don't need to go too crazy. Right now I'm looking at the Amazon products. Does anyone have any experience with these? It seems like the Kindle Fire HDX is the best option there.

#25 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,894 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

I'm not sure how often people check over here, but I figured I'd give this thread a shot. I'm looking to get a tablet for the wife for Christmas. It will be mostly for home use, so I don't need to go too crazy. Right now I'm looking at the Amazon products. Does anyone have any experience with these? It seems like the Kindle Fire HDX is the best option there.

Those Amazon ones can be very cheap up front but they are supposed to be backloaded with costs. I guess you have to pay for a lot of services for it. I know with my Nexus most everything is free and stuff that is not - it can be had for free. My GF reads on it - and says it is easier to read then a Kindle (but not sure which one she used/uses).

I guess it depends on what kind of home use. Movies? Games? Surfing the net? Reading? NetFlix and streaming? The Nexus does well with all of that - except there is one format of video it doesn't like - I am not sure which format but the *cough* website I use for my laptop doesn't show videos on the tablet.

#26 shrader

shrader

Pleased but sticky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Those Amazon ones can be very cheap up front but they are supposed to be backloaded with costs. I guess you have to pay for a lot of services for it. I know with my Nexus most everything is free and stuff that is not - it can be had for free. My GF reads on it - and says it is easier to read then a Kindle (but not sure which one she used/uses).

I guess it depends on what kind of home use. Movies? Games? Surfing the net? Reading? NetFlix and streaming? The Nexus does well with all of that - except there is one format of video it doesn't like - I am not sure which format but the *cough* website I use for my laptop doesn't show videos on the tablet.

The home use will mostly be internet, email, games, and reading. We typically stream netflix off of my PS3, but I think it may come in handy for that too. When she's watching one of her crappy shows like Sister Wives, I can go watch something else instead.

I actually decided to cave and go a little more pricey with the iPad mini. They use iPads pretty heavily at her school with the students, so it seemed like the best option. At least it is something she will be very comfortable with.

#27 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,894 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

The home use will mostly be internet, email, games, and reading. We typically stream netflix off of my PS3, but I think it may come in handy for that too. When she's watching one of her crappy shows like Sister Wives, I can go watch something else instead.

I actually decided to cave and go a little more pricey with the iPad mini. They use iPads pretty heavily at her school with the students, so it seemed like the best option. At least it is something she will be very comfortable with.

you can download the Time Warner App and as long as you are on your own network watch all of your regular channels from that