2 replies to this topic

#1 The Avenger

The Avenger

I'm the Walkin' Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

Anyone have the DTV Genie? I have the regular HD DVR on my main TV and didn't get the Genie because the other sets in my house were all standard def. The 20 year old set in the bedroom just died so now the replacement set is HD and I need to do something - either get a second HD DVR on it or go to the Genie.

Anyone have good or bad things to say about the Genie? I'm assuming it will cause my monthly bill to go up - is it worth the cost?

#2 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,010 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:52 PM

I don't have any experience with the Genie, but my DirecTV setup...

DVR Box
Non-DVR Box

Back Room: HDMI1 DVR Box, HDMI2 Actiontec HDMI Receiver (No IR)
Front Room: Non-DVR Box connected to Actiontec HDMI Transmitter.
Master Bedroom: Actiontec HDMI Reciver
Office: Actiontec HDMI Reciver

Front Room, Office, and Master Bedroom all get the secondary feed and can use the remote to change channels

Back Room gets the primary feed (HDMI1). I can watch TV and record something else, or record two things while watching one of the recordings. If I'm recording two things at once, I switch over to the wireless HDMI feed (HDMI2). Can't switch channels in the Back Room with the secondary feed, but I can switch channels if I go into the Front Room, Office, or MBR.

The Actiontec Wireless HDMI costs ~175 for a transmitter and one receiver. Each additional receiver costs ~100

The transmitter has an HDMI in (from DirecTV/cable) and an HDMI out (to TV) and an IR port. The IR port connects to a cable with adhesive you place over your DirecTV/Cable remote port

Each receiver has an HDMI port to the TV and an IR port. The IR port connects to a cable with adhesive that you put on the TV or wherever will catch the signal

Pros: 1 HDMI feed can be split into multiple displays

Cons:
-Can't remote control more than one DTV feed at a time in my back room. When I hooked up the IR cable, one remote tried to control both receivers. Solution is to not use IR with Actiontec and change channels with remote connected to other feed.
-Have to reset transmitter, receiver, or both periodically

Caveat:
-Runs off an internal Wi-Fi network so subject to interference (yours or your neighbors)

Edited by /dev/null, 03 October 2014 - 09:55 PM.

#3 Dante

Dante

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

Anyone have the DTV Genie? I have the regular HD DVR on my main TV and didn't get the Genie because the other sets in my house were all standard def. The 20 year old set in the bedroom just died so now the replacement set is HD and I need to do something - either get a second HD DVR on it or go to the Genie.

Anyone have good or bad things to say about the Genie? I'm assuming it will cause my monthly bill to go up - is it worth the cost?

We have the genie.I like it. I don't think it cost us anything to get it either. Nice thing it allows you to have tiny clients on your other tv's instead of a power sucking dvr.They are about the size of a bar of soap. I can't remember how may gigs the Genie is but it has a huge capacity.. You won't miss your other dvr.