The Wire

#22 Rob's House

Rob's House

It's all good, it's all right, !@#$ all day, &a

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:18 AM

Along the lines of shows like The Wire, Sons of Anarchy, and Breaking Bad, I highly recommend The Shield.

It's one you have to start at the beginning and watch in order, but it's one of the best TV dramas I've ever seen. It's gritty without being blatantly gratuitous (SOA) and touches on the human element of good people going bad, but more subtly and artfully than Breaking Bad.

The best part, IMO, is that the good guys aren't always good, they don't always escape unscathed, and when they do it's because they did something intelligent, not because of dumb luck like we see all too often in shows and movies.

Edited by Rob's House, 05 November 2014 - 03:19 AM.

#23 LBSeeBallLBGetBall

LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:44 AM

Vikings

#24 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,207 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:13 AM

And on the lighter side of things, if no one has mentioned it in this thread. Raising Hope is my current favorite sit-com

#25 May Day 10

May Day 10

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:26 AM

Oz

#26 NoSaint

NoSaint

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,527 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:23 AM

Along the lines of shows like The Wire, Sons of Anarchy, and Breaking Bad, I highly recommend The Shield.

It's one you have to start at the beginning and watch in order, but it's one of the best TV dramas I've ever seen. It's gritty without being blatantly gratuitous (SOA) and touches on the human element of good people going bad, but more subtly and artfully than Breaking Bad.

The best part, IMO, is that the good guys aren't always good, they don't always escape unscathed, and when they do it's because they did something intelligent, not because of dumb luck like we see all too often in shows and movies.

its also where kurt sutter got his start (SOA), and you will get good on screen showings from guys that went on to other shows mentioned in this thread (including the wire, justified, and SOA). it probably wouldve been next on my list to mention.

#27 PaattMaann

PaattMaann

Life Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

Don't start with The Wire because then every show you watch after it will never satisfy the craving for amazing television

So I would start with some of the other great shows mentioned in here and work up your appetite for the cinematic climax that is The Wire

#28 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,207 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

I am halfway through the first episode of the new series, but Foo Fighters Sonic Highways is so far, pretty awesome, great insight in the music scenes, both historical and current of some of the major cities of the US. Kind of an extension of their incredible Sound City documentary from a couple years ago

#29 John Adams

John Adams

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:19 PM

Don't start with The Wire because then every show you watch after it will never satisfy the craving for amazing television

So I would start with some of the other great shows mentioned in here and work up your appetite for the cinematic climax that is The Wire

Unlike the Sopranos that went off a cliff and stayed down for 5 years, The Wire was always on top of its game through the end. Few shows have ever done that.

#30 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,456 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:21 PM

Blacklist
Gotham
Peaky Blinders

#31 Mike In Illinois

Mike In Illinois

Getting the Led Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:23 PM

I agree with the recommendation of 'True Detective'. Fantastic series that feels slow to start, has some weird elements but finishes strong.

#32 Deranged Rhino

Deranged Rhino

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,285 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:36 PM

Blacklist
Gotham
Peaky Blinders

Is Gotham really good? I haven't gone past the pilot for personal reasons but it's still recording on my DVR. Should I go back?

#33 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,456 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Is Gotham really good? I haven't gone past the pilot for personal reasons but it's still recording on my DVR. Should I go back?

I love it man. The Penguin is just starting to ramp up the crazy.

#34 Deranged Rhino

Deranged Rhino

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,285 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

I love it man. The Penguin is just starting to ramp up the crazy.

Alright, I'll dive back in. Thanks!

#35 KD in CA

KD in CA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,575 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:43 PM

1. Homeland (but I heard the 1st season is amazing but then it really tails off)

We love Homeland. I think it's still good.

#36 4merper4mer

4merper4mer

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,631 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

I'm guessing the "personal reasons" have something to do with memories of your youth, Julie Newmar, fear of going blind and forgetting to lock the door just that one time. Am I way off?

#37 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,577 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:54 PM

I'm guessing the "personal reasons" have something to do with memories of your youth, Julie Newmar, fear of going blind and forgetting to lock the door just that one time. Am I way off?

Could be his youth, Julie Newmar, and Wesley Snipes in drag.

#38 Deranged Rhino

Deranged Rhino

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,285 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

Could be his youth, Julie Newmar, and Wesley Snipes in drag.

You're both in the neighborhood. :lol:

#39 Rob's House

Rob's House

It's all good, it's all right, !@#$ all day, &a

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:00 PM

If you're looking for something light, The League is great. I don't think it's on Netflix right now, but the first 5 or 6 season's are on Amazon prime.

#40 Maury Ballstein

Maury Ballstein

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,497 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

If you're looking for something light, The League is great. I don't think it's on Netflix right now, but the first 5 or 6 season's are on Amazon prime.

Good call on the league. Just watched the man land episode with Corbin Bernsen. Rafi and Taco are finally funny now.