2505 replies to this topic

#1 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,625 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

I recall there was a pet peeves thread on here at one time. I feel like there ought to be another, since many of us are curmudgeonly grumps.

Here's one of my long-standing pet peeves:

The use of "on" in the phrases "I am going to love on him," or "I am going to brag on him." Why?

Anyone else?

#2 Cugalabanza

Cugalabanza

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

I cringe every time I hear somebody say "that's what I'm talkin' about" after some lame minor victory or accomplishment.

Edited by Cugalabanza, 05 January 2015 - 11:29 AM.

#3 BillsFanM.D.

BillsFanM.D.

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

Where are you AT?

#4 Jauronimo

Jauronimo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

I recall there was a pet peeves thread on here at one time. I feel like there ought to be another, since many of us are curmudgeonly grumps.

Here's one of my long-standing pet peeves:

The use of "on" in the phrases "I am going to love on him," or "I am going to brag on him." Why?

Anyone else?

I don't think I've heard those phrases.  How do you brag on someone?

#5 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

Eternally Optimistic Some of the Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

Arrogant bastards that criticize others for the use of common words like "on", "in", "over", etc.

:nana:

Seriously, my wife and I say this all the time when we are out shopping or out to eat. If we are walking together and another group of people (especially younger adults - under 45) walk toward us, my wife and I ALWAYS move out of the way. Just once I'd like to keep walking and see if others move out of our way. I guess we are too nice but it boils my blood that others are so caught up in their own little world that they can't comprehend that others are walking toward them.

#6 BillsFanM.D.

BillsFanM.D.

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:31 AM

And people who hate marathon runners.   :nana:

#7 Gugny

Gugny

TACOCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

... and whatnot.

Hearing that at the end of a sentence makes me want to explode.

** edit ** ... less than 5 minutes after I wrote this, the woman sitting next to me said it.

Edited by Gugny, 05 January 2015 - 11:36 AM.

#8 dhg

dhg

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

People that consistently use the word "obviously"

#9 Maury Ballstein

Maury Ballstein

All Pro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,786 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

-Bluetooth headset wearers who yap too loudly at the grocery store

-And those GD folks with more than 10 items in the express checkout lane.

-The lady who acts like she's at Ruth Chris's when she's actually at McDonald's. " I want fresh fries and a new bun and sautee those onions a little for me sugar".

Edited by Ryan L Billz, 05 January 2015 - 11:42 AM.

#10 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,625 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

And people who hate marathon runners.   :nana:

Haha; that runs much deeper than a mere pet peeve. Did I tell you I did get a "0.0" bumper magnet?

#11 4merper4mer

4merper4mer

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:48 AM

I hate it when people start repetitive threads because they can't search for the word "peeve".

#12 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,095 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:00 PM

People who quit being fans of a team and leave the board, then come back two weeks later and make the most inane, insipid posts, then argue that their contribution to the board is underrated and the rest of us simply don't understand their brilliance.

#13 Deranged Rhino

Deranged Rhino

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,576 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:01 PM

Erik Pears.

#14 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

I hate it when people start repetitive threads because they can't search for the word "peeve".

Somebody has a case of the Mondays.

#15 4merper4mer

4merper4mer

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,891 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

Erik Pears.

Erik Pears left the board, then come back two weeks later and made the most inane, insipid posts, then argue that his contribution to the board is underrated and the rest of us simply don't understand his brilliance?

Wow.  I never even knew he was on the board.  

Edited by 4merper4mer, 05 January 2015 - 12:23 PM.

#16 Cugalabanza

Cugalabanza

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

Seriously, my wife and I say this all the time when we are out shopping or out to eat. If we are walking together and another group of people (especially younger adults - under 45) walk toward us, my wife and I ALWAYS move out of the way. Just once I'd like to keep walking and see if others move out of our way. I guess we are too nice but it boils my blood that others are so caught up in their own little world that they can't comprehend that others are walking toward them.

I have this one too.  Many people are incredibly rude and inconsiderate when it comes to personal space stuff.

Edited by Cugalabanza, 05 January 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#17 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,095 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:23 PM

Sometimes it's fun to just stop and wait for them to move around you.  And then when they don't and get all pissy about "you" bumping into "them," pointing out that you weren't even moving, they were.

#18 Cugalabanza

Cugalabanza

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,272 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

People who quit being fans of a team and leave the board, then come back two weeks later and make the most inane, insipid posts, then argue that their contribution to the board is underrated and the rest of us simply don't understand their brilliance.

Hmm, I think I need to actually read that thread.

Edited by Cugalabanza, 05 January 2015 - 12:25 PM.

#19 JR in Pittsburgh

JR in Pittsburgh

No Mercy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,625 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

Arrogant bastards that criticize others for the use of common words like "on", "in", "over", etc.

:nana:

this drives me crazy too. I am also always telling people "sorry," even if they bump into me. 

#20 BringBackFergy

BringBackFergy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

Sometimes it's fun to just stop and wait for them to move around you.  And then when they don't and get all pissy about "you" bumping into "them," pointing out that you weren't even moving, they were.

You and Cugalabanza have experienced the same thing...it pisses me off. Saturday I was at my son's wrestling tournament and walked out to get a drink of water...some young guy walked into my path, his back to me, on his cell phone and just stopped....wtf?? It's not like he was giving authorization for air strikes on North Korea. He knew I was walking...get out of my !@#$ing way if you are engaged in a phone call to order a sub.