#1 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,769 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:03 AM

http://www.health.co...0454528,00.html

Ha! Best one: #1, tap your feet and burn 350.

#2 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,769 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:39 PM

I lost so much weight following some of these simple steps that I was concerned when I started noticing my xiphoid process feeling like a lump. I knew the xiphoid process from CPR and anatomy class many moons ago. I just didn't realize the importance of the xp as an anchor point for ligaments, lower heart boundary, etc...

If you lose a ton of weight, you feel a lump @ the end of your sternum... And over 40 (ossification of the xp)... Don't worry (unless it is painful). I will still ask my doctor when I see her in September.

Here are a few good write-ups. Small, but important part of the anatomy!

http://helpyourback....-and-treatment/

http://healthfixit.c...d-process-pain/

Interesting stuff...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 26 July 2015 - 08:51 PM.

#3 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,281 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

ugh...i seriously hate trying to diet...i have tried to cut out lunches during the week, instead opting for bananas, apples, peaches, nectarines and some 'trail mix' from the bulk bins, now the nuts and dried fruits are bad?  seriously?  why aren't squirrels fat???

#4 Very wide right

Very wide right

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:55 PM

ugh...i seriously hate trying to diet...i have tried to cut out lunches during the week, instead opting for bananas, apples, peaches, nectarines and some 'trail mix' from the bulk bins, now the nuts and dried fruits are bad?  seriously?  why aren't squirrels fat???

Cause all they do is run around and bury the food,they don't eat it.

#5 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,769 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

Cause all they do is run around and bury the food,they don't eat it.

LMAO! I was going to say that... BUT have you seen the fat little tummy those squirrely squirrels have? ;-) That's from the nuts... That was me, even w/all the running around! Ha!

Seriously Pooj. It is the calories packed in the nuts. They aren't bad if you use portion control. I use a spoon or so of peanut butter to curb my appetite and stop me from eating MORE calories elesewhere. Sure 2 tablespoons have about 200 calories, but you fill up on it and won't eat more... Well, that's what helps/works w/me. Also, notice they said to eat pistachios. The reason, the arduous shelling will slow you down. Well, in theory I guess. ;-) Also, first time in my life I got gave different fruits and berries a chance. I never had a weight problem through my teens, 20's, and 30's. I always thought I could magically eat what I wanted and when I wanted. I learned a nasty lesson hitting 40.

Mix in timing, good sleep (which I should be doing now since I am coming off midnights), etc... And those are good habits. Heck, I find eating a little before bed actually HELPS. It causes me not to make bad choices while half a sleep (Ha! There is a joke in there). Shift-work, for decades has caused me to get sleep when I can. Certain fasts totally help me. I find routine was my worst enemy. FWIW, even a 4 week swing shift is very routine. Timing, timing, time. Depending on your height and weight, you will burn calories while sleeping... Just gotta start the burning process. More sleeping is less time one is eating, especially me where I microsleep, grab naps here and there, etc...What I am hoping for is my schedule to go from swing-shifting every week (days, afternoons, midnights) to a 12 hour compressed schedule (think a nurse's schedule?). So many more positives to that than the weekly swing. Being home more than 50% of the time will the biggest plus pattern wise, but will only be good if I can control my home eating habits. @ work, I am good because I can keep busy. I am not really an eater when I am working, keeping idle hands busy. The nursing the soda was the big part! Trade off will be better sleep, of course less commuting to and from work, etc...

So many tricks in here, but you have to start the burning process while counting calories in vs. out. Burn off what you gained, and don't gain it back! Not gaining it back will be the numbers game from each 24 hour period against what you ate and did through the day. Helps if you can figure out your base metabolic rate (how much you burn just sitting around or sleeping)... Use that as your baseline. Try extended fasts and see how your body and mind handles things...

FWIW...

#6 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,281 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:49 AM

so how 'bad' is my diet if i eat 3 bananas, 2 peaches and 2 nectarines, and a cup of coffee during work hours, that's it, just the fruit spread out over the day...are those empty calories chock full of bad sugars?  

#7 Very wide right

Very wide right

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:44 PM

so how 'bad' is my diet if i eat 3 bananas, 2 peaches and 2 nectarines, and a cup of coffee during work hours, that's it, just the fruit spread out over the day...are those empty calories chock full of bad sugars?  

Poojer it sounds like you have command of your diet.Im convinced that any normal diet coupled with 30 min of cardio a day will result in weight loss.You simply have to create a caloric deficit and you lose weight.

Edited by Very wide right, 31 July 2015 - 09:44 PM.

#8 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,769 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

Poojer it sounds like you have command of your diet.Im convinced that any normal diet coupled with 30 min of cardio a day will result in weight loss.You simply have to create a caloric deficit and you lose weight.

Exactly! That's what I found to be my mystery. That deficit, cardio burn. Yesterday we went to Starved Rock (LoL... Is there irony in the name... LoL) and hiked about 6 miles through the "canyons" (what we would called ravines... But, oh well, they are "canyons" in Illinois. LoL) and up the rock. The rock alone has about 150 steps one way. That mystery was what it takes to get that deficit (burn) to "jump start" FOR ME. I know it might work not for others, but I feast and fast... Just like I did when I was younger and skinny. It seems to have jumpstarted my metabolism. MY big thing again is sleep... Just like when I was younger. I know it sounds crazy, but I know I burn when I get good quality sleep. Maybe not as much now that my BMI is way down.

Again, I am 6-2/6-3ish... Routine put me up to almost 300 pounds. I am now flirting with the 200 pound range. I am large frame, so right now @ 216 I am just into the desired range @ around 27% BMI... I want to get that more into the lower 20's as a "safety cushion" for the times I fall off the wagon. It is getting harder though, there is not much more to give/burn easily.

Just like Rex said back when he lost weight. Of course, he had the lap band surgery or something? Yet, that gets you to thinking what are they (w/lap band) really doing there? Making it so you don't intake as much! Back to what Rex commented: "Instead of having 6 tacos, he now eats 3." LMAO... So spot on! AND OF COURSE, not washing it down with soda (of any kind, DIET or sugar) BUT with WATER.

Oh... I will also just juice fast from time to time. That 18-30 hour fast period is magic. It was super hard @ first, I thought I was going to die... BUT YOU WON'T!!! But now I actually feel MORE energy blasting through a fast.

Kill the routine! Your body loves routine and will store! IMO... I an't no dietician, just a lock and dam operator! ;-)

DISCLAIMER: Be careful! Know your body. Be especially careful of how it sends signals, blood sugar, etc... Stuff that has low load helps. That's why I mentioned the med diet... Falafel, hummus, chick peas, lentils (he he)... Don't collapse, I won't be held responsible. :-O LoL...

#9 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,769 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:51 PM

Now. I try not to eat anything during work hours. Especially when I am doing desk work. Nothing, nada, zilch except for water. For me, that was never really my problem until I got more desk/computer time. If I am on the bull crew out working, maybe a little something. Yet, I was never into eating when I am working physically... ESPECIALLY in the heat.

Like VWR said... That cardio. I got jumpstarted in the winter during our dewatering project. I worked everyday from 12-12. I worked the first 6 hours in the pit, then the crew left and I was alone (security, checking the pumps, etc...) until the midnight watch came in. But, I didn't shut down... I cleaned up after all the slobs on day shift... And boy was it messy and took some sweat out of you for hours! Slept and worked, ate one small meal a day in the evening when I was finished w/clean-up. When I ate, that's when I did the desk/computer work like recording water elevations, etc...

That routine and shaving the small calories out of my daily diet jumpstarted me. I am not a gym guy. I have probably spent about 2 minutes in a gym the last 30 years. I did used to play high school football and that was the last time I was actually in an offical weight room/gym.

#10 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,769 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:36 PM

Wine or your waistline? 3 rules to follow:

http://www.cnn.com/2...wine-waistline/

Alcohol "presses the pause button" on your metabolism.

It's probably why people get heavy around the holidays. ?? I drink some alcohol, but very infrequently. In the past 7 months... The trip back to BFLO for my nephew's wedding this past month was the only time I had a drinks... I can't remember before that? Probably the night I got off the 90 day stint of working everyday... We all went out for drinks.

#11 Blokestradamus

Blokestradamus

Respected Vice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:35 AM

I've been trying to lose some weight for about a month. It was pretty alarming to see how unhealthy my diet was once I started to pay attention to nutritional values. I didn't eat a lot but what I did eat wasn't good for me at all.

I've cut out all carbonated drinks, stopped snacking completely and started to actually cook meals with fresh produce. On top of 30-40 minutes of cardio at least 4 times a week (some days, my muscles just hate me), I've lost 13 pounds in 5 weeks. Long term goal is to lose about 40-45 pounds, get down to around 185-190 by the end of the year.

#12 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,281 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

my whole problem is my motivation to do that 30 min cardio...i went 2 weeks with no alcohol and ate very well, really felt a big difference, but getting up off my fat ass is the biggest thing...i need to work on forcing myself to at least get out and walk...couple years ago, i was walking 5-6 miles 5-6 days a week but got really frustrated because the results weren't coming fast enough.  i really need to just get up and do something. 

#13 Blokestradamus

Blokestradamus

Respected Vice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:19 PM

my whole problem is my motivation to do that 30 min cardio...i went 2 weeks with no alcohol and ate very well, really felt a big difference, but getting up off my fat ass is the biggest thing...i need to work on forcing myself to at least get out and walk...couple years ago, i was walking 5-6 miles 5-6 days a week but got really frustrated because the results weren't coming fast enough.  i really need to just get up and do something. 

I had much the same problem for a while. What did it for me was catching a look at myself in a full-length mirror in just my boxers. I was in denial that my weight was an issue until then.

Whenever I think about putting it off, I remember that image. I want to get as far away from that as possible.

#14 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,281 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

that is what kind of triggered my going on the wagon...we did a buddy's bachelor party and it was just a pub crawl...saw pictures of myself and decided i didn't want to ruin his wedding pictures.  stopping beer was the easiest thing i could do without lifting a finger(beer is a big part of why my weight is the way it is).  I did have beers last night simply because a friend came thru town and we had a couple, but back on that wagon.  like i said, these 2 weeks i have absolutely noticed a difference and it has almost pushed me to that point of actually doing something more.  

I had much the same problem for a while. What did it for me was catching a look at myself in a full-length mirror in just my boxers. I was in denial that my weight was an issue until then.

Whenever I think about putting it off, I remember that image. I want to get as far away from that as possible.

#15 Blokestradamus

Blokestradamus

Respected Vice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

that is what kind of triggered my going on the wagon...we did a buddy's bachelor party and it was just a pub crawl...saw pictures of myself and decided i didn't want to ruin his wedding pictures.  stopping beer was the easiest thing i could do without lifting a finger(beer is a big part of why my weight is the way it is).  I did have beers last night simply because a friend came thru town and we had a couple, but back on that wagon.  like i said, these 2 weeks i have absolutely noticed a difference and it has almost pushed me to that point of actually doing something more.  

You've taken positive steps and seen results so that's the first barrier crossed. Even if you start off small and build up gradually with exercise, it's a start.

All I can say is that I've been at this for just over a month and I feel so much better in myself and about myself. I'm a little sore now and then but it's worth it.

#16 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,972 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:13 AM

Pooj... you should consume less fruit and more vegetable. I've lost 40lb on this kind of daily diet:

Breakfast:

2 hardboileds

1 medium grapefruit

1 banana

AM snack:

protein shake or greek yogurt

Lunch

Can of tuna

Salad with just a little oil/vinegar

banana

pm snack

protein shake/yogurt and some cherry tomatoes

dinner

whatever, usually a meat, vegetable and just a small amount of carbohydrate

#17 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,769 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

I've been trying to lose some weight for about a month. It was pretty alarming to see how unhealthy my diet was once I started to pay attention to nutritional values. I didn't eat a lot but what I did eat wasn't good for me at all.

I've cut out all carbonated drinks, stopped snacking completely and started to actually cook meals with fresh produce. On top of 30-40 minutes of cardio at least 4 times a week (some days, my muscles just hate me), I've lost 13 pounds in 5 weeks. Long term goal is to lose about 40-45 pounds, get down to around 185-190 by the end of the year.

Exactly! Gr8... It should work... That is what I did coupled w/good sleep habits, job permitting. I am back down to my regular numbers I was in my 20's. Yet, having a bigger frame I don't know if I can lose that last 10-15 pounds and get to 200. I guess I have to start exercising. Yuck I hate the gym! Again, I gotta be doing something.

Pooj... you should consume less fruit and more vegetable. I've lost 40lb on this kind of daily diet:

Breakfast:

2 hardboileds
1 medium grapefruit
1 banana

AM snack:

protein shake or greek yogurt

Lunch

Can of tuna
Salad with just a little oil/vinegar
banana

pm snack

protein shake/yogurt and some cherry tomatoes

dinner

whatever, usually a meat, vegetable and just a small amount of carbohydrate

Sound advice! I noticed he was heavy on the fruit. I can't imagine taking in that much fruit, let alone in a workday!

A banana is around 75-100 calories I think.

#18 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,769 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

Exactly! Same too Pooj!

In 2014 I got my license renewed... I was absolutely mortified when I looked @ the weight gain in my face. I needed to change my routine and this winter provided it. I look back @ the license and it is night and day how the weight came off. I just hope that whoever askes me for my license doesn't think it isn't me! I would like to change it, but that would be vain? Yet, it provides me with motivation. I was in such denial. I actually kept the weight on the license the same @ 250 even though I was topping out @ 290 something... Now @ around 215... That 250 seems miles off the other way. BUT, I can't let it slip away again!

I also got my Passport renewed in Decemeber when I dropped about 20 pounds... It looks way better. I hope that doesn't screw me up too, Passports are good for 10 years!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 04 August 2015 - 08:42 PM.

#19 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,972 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

Exactly! Same too Pooj!

In 2014 I got my license renewed... I was absolutely mortified when I looked @ the weight gain in my face. I needed to change my routine and this winter provided it. I look back @ the license and it is night and day how the weight came off. I just hope that whoever askes me for my license doesn't think it isn't me! I would like to change it, but that would be vain? Yet, it provides me with motivation. I was in such denial. I actually kept the weight on the license the same @ 250 even though I was topping out @ 290 something... Now @ around 215... That 250 seems miles off the other way. BUT, I can't let it slip away again!

I also got my Passport renewed in Decemeber when I dropped about 20 pounds... It looks way better. I hope that doesn't screw me up too, Passports are good for 10 years!

I keep a photo of me at my heaviest on my bathroom mirror so I don't lose perspective. I've not only lost 40lb, I've lost it off my waist. I started with a disgustingly 52" waist. Now it's 44". Ultimate goal is 36". So about halfway there. I'd say another 20 lb fat loss will do it. For exercise, I do 45 minutes lifting three days a week, and 30 minutes cardio 3 days a week.

#20 thebandit27

thebandit27

Armchair Dynasty Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,383 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:35 AM

Figured I'd chime in here, as I'm in the process of getting down to competition weight (I'm not competing, but I have some lifters that are cutting down for a meet, and I'm doing it with them).

This has been, by far, the easiest cut I've ever done.  I'm not tracking anything other than calories and protein--calories fluctuate depending upon if it's a training day, protein is consistent every day.

I used a standard TDEE calculator online to figure out calorie goals, and eat between 1.25g and 1.5g protein per lb of body weight (there's no benefit to muscle synthesis beyond 1g/lb, but the benefits for satiety, thermic effect of food, and muscle sparing are immeasurable IMO).  Lifting day calories (3x per week) are at maintenance level; rest day calories are at a 600 calorie deficit.  I do absolutely no cardio; it's boring.

Monday-Friday, food choices are generally clean.  Whole cuts of meat, veggies, fruit, whole eggs, protein powder, and maybe some plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.  Fats come from meats/eggs or butter (sometimes coconut oil if I'm making a stir-fry).

Weekends I eat what I want, but stay under my calorie goal (and hit my protein goal).  Last Saturday included a giant bowl of ice cream and a few glasses of Japanese whiskey.

Started 7/27/15

Weight - 167 lbs

BF ~16.5%

Deadlift - 415 x 5

Bench - 235 x 5

Squat - 335 x 6

Chin-up - BW + 80lb x 4

Current 8/10/15

Weight - 161 lbs

BF ~13.4% (based on calculating--can't have lost muscle since all lifts have gone up)

Deadlift - 430 x 4

Bench - 235 x 7

Squat - 345 x 7

Chin-up - BW + 90lb x 5