94 replies to this topic

#41 thebandit27

thebandit27

Armchair Dynasty Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:38 AM

Figured I'd chime in here, as I'm in the process of getting down to competition weight (I'm not competing, but I have some lifters that are cutting down for a meet, and I'm doing it with them).

This has been, by far, the easiest cut I've ever done.  I'm not tracking anything other than calories and protein--calories fluctuate depending upon if it's a training day, protein is consistent every day.

I used a standard TDEE calculator online to figure out calorie goals, and eat between 1.25g and 1.5g protein per lb of body weight (there's no benefit to muscle synthesis beyond 1g/lb, but the benefits for satiety, thermic effect of food, and muscle sparing are immeasurable IMO).  Lifting day calories (3x per week) are at maintenance level; rest day calories are at a 600 calorie deficit.  I do absolutely no cardio; it's boring.

Monday-Friday, food choices are generally clean.  Whole cuts of meat, veggies, fruit, whole eggs, protein powder, and maybe some plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.  Fats come from meats/eggs or butter (sometimes coconut oil if I'm making a stir-fry).

Weekends I eat what I want, but stay under my calorie goal (and hit my protein goal).  Last Saturday included a giant bowl of ice cream and a few glasses of Japanese whiskey.

Started 7/27/15

Weight - 167 lbs

BF ~16.5%

Deadlift - 415 x 5

Bench - 235 x 5

Squat - 335 x 6

Chin-up - BW + 80lb x 4

Current 8/10/15

Weight - 161 lbs

BF ~13.4% (based on calculating--can't have lost muscle since all lifts have gone up)

Deadlift - 430 x 4

Bench - 235 x 7

Squat - 345 x 7

Chin-up - BW + 90lb x 5

Update:

Current 8/18/15

Weight - 159 lbs

BF ~12.3% (based on calculating--can't have lost muscle since all lifts have gone up)

Deadlift - 435 x 4

Bench - 235 x 7

Squat - 355 x 7

Chin-up - BW + 90lb x 5

Day 3 in the books. I'm Journaling it using map my walk app. Fruits and vegetables aND chicken breasts are dominating my diet lately

Make sure you eat fats, Poojer.

Fat (specifically saturated and monounsaturated) is extremely important in hormone production (including those hormones that control body fat store mobilization and hunger regulation).  Best sources are whole foods like fatty cuts of meat and eggs (go for organic, grassfed, or pastured if you can), avocado, olives, coconuts, and nuts/seeds.  You can also do full-fat dairy provided you tolerate lactose well.

#42 Blokestradamus

Blokestradamus

Respected Vice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:40 AM

Here is a BMI calculator:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/

I am still over weight slightly by that one.  :wallbash:  That must be the concentration camp one!  I am large frame and use this one:

http://www.healthcen...t-3146-143.html

Ideal @ 206 to 226!  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:   But, I have an addictive personality and want 196...  An even 100 pounds since last year.    :lol:  :wallbash:

My BMI is 30.24 which is right on the low end of Obese. To get my BMI to a 'normal' weight, I'd have to get down to 174. With a Medium Frame, using the one that won't make me cry, it puts my ideal weight at 166 to 182.6. Fits my goals a little better.

My body fat is 23.76% at the high end of acceptable. With my target weight being 185lbs and knowing I was a 34" waist before I piled the pounds on, that would put me at 17%.

I don't mind if I'm slightly overweight by certain calculations as long as I look healthier and feel better about myself. 5' 10", 185 is much better than 5' 10", 229.

Edited by Blokestradamus, 18 August 2015 - 07:44 AM.

#43 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,270 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:03 AM

I know i am only 3 days in, but i noticed a lot less huffing and puffing walking up my 2 sets of ten steps to get to work this morning....

#44 thebandit27

thebandit27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

Here's Kamal Patel of Examine.com dropping the knowledge to summarize that low carb vs. low fat study:

http://examine.com/b...hat-lower-carb/

"If you need a broad and simple takeaway from this study, here is one: weight loss does not rely on certain carb levels or manipulation of insulin, it relies on eating less. Don’t be scared that eating carbs will cause insulin to trap fat inside your fat cells."

#45 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,918 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:44 AM

Day 3 in the books. I'm Journaling it using map my walk app. Fruits and vegetables aND chicken breasts are dominating my diet lately

Excellent. I eat a can of tuna for lunch about 2x a week, it's a good source of low-fat protein.

Eggs (two whites, one whole) for breakfast is also good.

#46 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,270 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:30 AM

i was buying those pouches of pink salmon and doing that for lunch with some avocado...i need to start making hardboiled eggs for myself in the am

Excellent. I eat a can of tuna for lunch about 2x a week, it's a good source of low-fat protein.

#47 thebandit27

thebandit27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

i was buying those pouches of pink salmon and doing that for lunch with some avocado...i need to start making hardboiled eggs for myself in the am

Try cottage cheese for protein (I use Friendship 1% with no salt to keep the calories and sodium down).  It tastes good all on its own, but if you want to doctor it up a bit, any of the following work really well:

- Cinnamon

- Frozen berries

- Dark chocolate (>70% cacao solids)

- Salsa or ketchup--No, I'm not joking.  Salsa added to cottage cheese tastes like queso dip; it's awesome.  Ketchup is a little bit sweeter, and tastes more like cheeseburger topping; also wonderful.

#48 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,730 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

Here's Kamal Patel of Examine.com dropping the knowledge to summarize that low carb vs. low fat study:

http://examine.com/b...hat-lower-carb/

"If you need a broad and simple takeaway from this study, here is one: weight loss does not rely on certain carb levels or manipulation of insulin, it relies on eating less. Dont be scared that eating carbs will cause insulin to trap fat inside your fat cells."

Bingo! That's the magic (if you want to call it magic) I figured out w/my diet... And I have a pretty horrible diet and schedule. Eat less! LMAO, so beautifully simple, who'd a thunk! ;-) ;-)

Gr8 work Pooj... Stay on, don't break that rountine. I found that you can "cheat" once in a while... BUT don't go crazy. Use that as motivational to enjoy. It's going to be a long and slow process, it pays off! DO NOT get discouraged if you slip here and there... The next day, get back into that routine.... Routine, routine just like it was on the other side of the equation.

Myself w/the vice of nursing on a soda, I have no desire to guzzle that crap anymore... AND have more energy. I actually emjoy water! I never thought it possible!

Remember sleep in there too! I am getting much better quality sleep @ a much lighter weight. I have always snored a little when I was thin. I am tonsilless since a youth, I guess that helps. My family has noticed I am much quieter...LoL My son is fit and conditioned (high school lax player) and is a human buzzsaw @ TIMES... He still has his tonsils though. Anybody know what is up w/that? If I lose any more in my neck, I will look like I was on a death march. I will ask the doctor in Septemeber.

Bandit, what's your take on peanut butter? It helps me fight a craving here and there... Just straight up peanut butter (couple spoons) and a glass of milk as a snack. Cuts out having more calories elsewhere.

Inching away, crept down to 210-214. Not sure what my waistline is, still wearing my fatty clothes but doing some major swimming in them @ 38" waists... I am guessing 34" to 36" ?? I got my tapemeasure @ work, will check there. Amazing since I was popping out of 44" waists a year ago and still wearing them low by cheating! My shirts I can really tell. I wear lots of tees in summer and they feel super loose! Hooray! Feels good that everything I wear, I gotta tuck in!

Keep plugging away all! Only just 300-500 calories a day will do it! Just like it was packed on, trim it off!

Try cottage cheese for protein (I use Friendship 1% with no salt to keep the calories and sodium down).  It tastes good all on its own, but if you want to doctor it up a bit, any of the following work really well:

- Cinnamon
- Frozen berries
- Dark chocolate (>70% cacao solids)
- Salsa or ketchup--No, I'm not joking.  Salsa added to cottage cheese tastes like queso dip; it's awesome.  Ketchup is a little bit sweeter, and tastes more like cheeseburger topping; also wonderful.

I kick it up a notch and squirt Siriacha on a lot of things. I was reading where peppers (capsacin) is good @ jump starting your metabolism.

I also just sautee some peppers and onions, etc... in a pan... Then wrap it up in a whole grain tortilla and make a veggie wrap. You put a little yogurt dressing in there too (dill, etc...).

Go veg! You can make tastey things

#49 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,918 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

Hardboiled eggs are the BEST.

I make like 8 of them on a sunday and have them for breakfast a minimum of 4 days a week, usually with a grapefruit and a very small bran muffin (like half a muffi tin spot)

#50 thebandit27

thebandit27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

Bandit, what's your take on peanut butter? It helps me fight a craving here and there... Just straight up peanut butter (couple spoons) and a glass of milk as a snack. Cuts out having more calories elsewhere.

I love peanut butter.  I opt for the organic, natural stuff--the only ingredients being peanuts...and salt; nothing wrong with salt.  In fact, when I'm trying to drop fat, I tend to use a bit more iodized salt than normal, since iodine is a good supporter of thyroid function.  It's the industrialized sodium hodgepodge (i.e. MSG, etc.) that you want to avoid.

If you really want a treat, slice up a banana, smother with a tablespoon of peanut butter that's been zapped in the microwave for 10 seconds, and drizzle on a teaspoon of real maple syrup.

I kick it up a notch and squirt Siriacha on a lot of things. I was reading where peppers (capsacin) is good @ jump starting your metabolism.

I also just sautee some peppers and onions, etc... in a pan... Then wrap it up in a whole grain tortilla and make a veggie wrap. You put a little yogurt dressing in there too (dill, etc...).

Go veg! You can make tastey things

There's probably something to the capsaicin thing; I don't count on it though.

Salsa is my magic bullet...it makes everything taste fantastic, and you can really heap it on--1/4 cup (a LOT of salsa) has 20 calories.

#51 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,270 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:51 PM

I came here just now to ask about peanut butter...i went home for lunch and opted for a spoonful of peanut butter and went on my way...

I love peanut butter.  I opt for the organic, natural stuff--the only ingredients being peanuts...and salt; nothing wrong with salt.  In fact, when I'm trying to drop fat, I tend to use a bit more iodized salt than normal, since iodine is a good supporter of thyroid function.  It's the industrialized sodium hodgepodge (i.e. MSG, etc.) that you want to avoid.

If you really want a treat, slice up a banana, smother with a tablespoon of peanut butter that's been zapped in the microwave for 10 seconds, and drizzle on a teaspoon of real maple syrup.

There's probably something to the capsaicin thing; I don't count on it though.

Salsa is my magic bullet...it makes everything taste fantastic, and you can really heap it on--1/4 cup (a LOT of salsa) has 20 calories.

#52 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,730 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

I feel guilty!  One of the tugboats, Miss Allie, called today on the phone and asked where they can order pizza.  I gave them:

www.DoreensPizzeria.com

They made an order from there and I had the delivery guy meet the boat on the upper lockwall... Of course he pilot to drop off a free small cheese, pepperoni, and ham (these boys on the Miss Allie are from Houston, so they love their ham and meat I guess) for me and my co-worker... I have to fess up, I ate about 1/4 to half the small pie...  Okay, a 1/2!  :oops:

This can't be a regular habit!  :bag:

I do think I may still be under my BMI of 2032 for the day though?  Another bad thing, we got a new Weber Grill (Spirit) @ work that we all chipped in for... Of course the guys will now want to grill! :wallbash:  :wallbash:    It has the cast iron skillet... Somebody's gonna want breakfast when I am on midnights! :wallbash:  :wallbash:  I did assemble the grill, so that probably burned some calories, not much walking tonight due to the thunderstorms. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 18 August 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#53 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,270 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

so this morning i woke up at 3:20 for some ungodly reason....i was worried about falling back asleep and oversleeping my targeted 5-ish start time...i do this around 5-5:30AM so no one can see my fat ass struggling...so i wind up laying awake until about 5, got up, did my thang...now the problem is, i'm done and relaxing at 6AM, don't have to be to work til 6 and am frigging tired...i want to go back to bed....fwiw....my calves are really killing me during the day....takes a few very awkward steps to get them stretched out....so i guess that's a good thing.

I have added a few loops of the parking lot to lengthen my walk, now up to 1-3/4 miles in about 35 minutes, still doing 5 sets of steps....then on my walk home, wawa is my final passing spot, 1/10 of a mile from my house, so i stop in, my shirt absolutely drenched in sweat, grab a small chocolate milk and a coffee then get home to unwind....

#54 thebandit27

thebandit27

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 07:39 AM

I feel guilty!  One of the tugboats, Miss Allie, called today on the phone and asked where they can order pizza.  I gave them:

www.DoreensPizzeria.com

They made an order from there and I had the delivery guy meet the boat on the upper lockwall... Of course he pilot to drop off a free small cheese, pepperoni, and ham (these boys on the Miss Allie are from Houston, so they love their ham and meat I guess) for me and my co-worker... I have to fess up, I ate about 1/4 to half the small pie...  Okay, a 1/2!  :oops:

This can't be a regular habit!  :bag:

I do think I may still be under my BMI of 2032 for the day though?  Another bad thing, we got a new Weber Grill (Spirit) @ work that we all chipped in for... Of course the guys will now want to grill! :wallbash:  :wallbash:    It has the cast iron skillet... Somebody's gonna want breakfast when I am on midnights! :wallbash:  :wallbash:  I did assemble the grill, so that probably burned some calories, not much walking tonight due to the thunderstorms. 

Forget it...it's a minor bump in a very long road.

Move on.

so this morning i woke up at 3:20 for some ungodly reason....i was worried about falling back asleep and oversleeping my targeted 5-ish start time...i do this around 5-5:30AM so no one can see my fat ass struggling...so i wind up laying awake until about 5, got up, did my thang...now the problem is, i'm done and relaxing at 6AM, don't have to be to work til 6 and am frigging tired...i want to go back to bed....fwiw....my calves are really killing me during the day....takes a few very awkward steps to get them stretched out....so i guess that's a good thing.

I have added a few loops of the parking lot to lengthen my walk, now up to 1-3/4 miles in about 35 minutes, still doing 5 sets of steps....then on my walk home, wawa is my final passing spot, 1/10 of a mile from my house, so i stop in, my shirt absolutely drenched in sweat, grab a small chocolate milk and a coffee then get home to unwind....

If you're tired during the day, take a walk in the sunlight...helps a LOT.

#55 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,270 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

i wish i could...i am a sweathog and we don't have any facilities at my office where i could change or clean up afterwards...hell, valley forge is walking distance from my office, if I could I would, now that is a walk!

Forget it...it's a minor bump in a very long road.

Move on.

If you're tired during the day, take a walk in the sunlight...helps a LOT.

#56 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,918 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:51 AM

i wish i could...i am a sweathog and we don't have any facilities at my office where i could change or clean up afterwards...hell, valley forge is walking distance from my office, if I could I would, now that is a walk!

Yeah, you're gonna have days were it's a struggle and days where wins come easy. The key to it is sticking it out on tough ones. I had a hard go of it this morning. It's leg day. I hate leg day. I'd like to kill puppies on leg day. But usually, if I force myself to get out there and do it, I feel great afterwards having fought through it. That's a big part of long term success.

#57 joesixpack

joesixpack

Hell Bent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,918 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:38 AM

Good cardio today. 300 Calories in 20 minutes on an elliptical. 15 cal/min.

Pretty intense.

#58 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,270 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:08 AM

it was a struggle to get up and out this morning...celebrated a buddy's birthday, but i pushed on...almost up to 2 total miles, still doing 5 sets of the steps...my split times are coming down slightly each day.

#59 Blokestradamus

Blokestradamus

Respected Vice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

it was a struggle to get up and out this morning...celebrated a buddy's birthday, but i pushed on...almost up to 2 total miles, still doing 5 sets of the steps...my split times are coming down slightly each day.

Good man! It's all about making progress.

#60 The Poojer

The Poojer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,270 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:21 AM

so a week in, and tracking my progress is showing a lot of improvement, basically the same route each time, have added some loops around parking lots (A) to cool down and, (B) to get some added distance.  I included the first mile splits because that is where the majority of the stairs come into play, today i found myself "running" up the stairs with a lot more ease, rather than having to walk parts of it.  I wish i could post pictures of the google maps view of my route, it looks like a drunk person waking in circles

Day 1 1.30 miles, 24:15 min/mile, 1st mile 25:31 min/mile

Day 2 1.52 miles, 23:41 min/mile, 1st mile 25:33 min/mile

Day 3 1.67 miles, 23:37 min/mile, 1st mile 24:11 min/mile

Day 4 1.82 miles, 22:57 min/mile, 1st mile 24:57 min/mile

Rest

Rest

Day 5 2.10 miles, 22:09 min/mile, 1st mile 22:53 min/mile

Day 6 2.22 miles, 21:17 min/mile, 1st mile 21:19 min/mile