94 replies to this topic

#81 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

You know what's an eye opener? To make a long story short, I live out sorta in the country... Our Village doesn't get Lake water, they use wells in town. We get very cheap water, BUT this part of the country the water is VERY hard, lots of iron (Fe) in the water. Well anyway, this was the weekend where I had to make a "salt run" to Home Depot and pick up about 240 pounds of Morton "System Saver" salt pellets for our water softener. These pellets come in 40 pound bags. To make a point to my family, I stepped on the scale and clocked in @ 211 pounds... THEN I grabbed two bags of salt, one 40 pound bag in each hand and stepped back on the scale... I weighed in @ 294! YIKES... That's how much extra weight I was packing on... ALL TUB OF FAT too! I asked my 13 year old daughter who weighs soaking wet 80 pounds, to lift one of the bags... Of course she had a very hard time, it's half her weight!!

That was my motivation today. I am still emphasizing the eating end of the equation over exercise and it is still working. @ one time, I was simply putting too much fuel (food) into my body for the amount of exercise/work coming out! Too much sugar!

Waist size is now a 36", I gotta belt the old 38's way down just so they stay on my azz. They say your waist size should be roughly 1/2 your height. @ 75" I am right on target @ 36" waist. I probably could suck into 34s... LOL

Stay motivated!

#82 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:51 AM

208! I am still hunting for that elusive 196! ;-) This upcoming trip to Fort Lauderdale/Miami will be the test... I don't know what I will do when the booze is flowing and Embassy Suites has the all you can eat full breakfast and Happy Hour... Will I have to be locked into detox this upcoming Tuesday upon return to Chicago? :-O Any advice? I don't want to roll into South FLA as a dieting teetotaler... Should I go just booze and shut my metabloism down or buzzkill dieter and be the designated driver for the drunks I will chilling with? Aren't drunks that booze it up w/no food skinny as a rail? J/K... ;-)

All my numbers are within the normal range and awesome. Biggest thing I noticed was triglycerides (fat in the blood) was way down! That was 54 compared to a whopping 178 in 2010! I did swear off the late night Maxwell Street Polish sausauges! ;-) HDL has always been an issue w/me, I must simply not produce it? That number should be above 40, I always hover around it. 5 years ago, it was 38. 6 months ago 43. Now, it was 40... Actually worse, but right on the normal range. Good to bad cholesterol % was 2.6%... Below 5% is normal. That number used to be above 5% @ around 7%.

They just transferred to a new system so I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get a better snapshot of my vitals over the years... BUT I did get 2010 (first in the previous system)... I was 273 back then and my blood work numbers were a mess... Cholesterol was 270! It is now 120! My doc now cut my new Crestor med RX in half from 40mg to 20mg... Will get retested again in March.

Even know diabetes is in my family... Blood sugar has never been a problem and it is even better now w/this test after an extended fast... Amazing all the years of soda drinking didn't wreck havoc, but I have never been into alcohol or other vices (just a binge a few times a year, like heading to games whatnot). I usually go months and months without a drop of booze. I never smoked either.

Blood pressure was 102/80... I have never seen the top number (sys) that low!

BMI went from 35% to 26! Calculated @ height of 6'3"

By no means I am a health nut... Just a regular nut... BUT it IS all about what you are putting in, way to many calories of JUNK! You either be happy w/it or if not, do something about: put down the fork! In my younger days, I always thought I could just power through and my metabolism would carry me through... Age caught up w/me! It was all a mindset for me and getting to realize I wasn't young any more and could will the fuel into me and away!

I can't remember the last time I was consistently 208? 1998 when my son was born? I was 30 then and started popping up. I know I was 218 in 2001 because I gained over that and remember coming back down below 220. I hovered around 235 for a spell when my son was an infant. 2006 I slimmed down for a while, then inched up after that ending @ fat face disgust with my February 2014 license photo while being in the high 280's and mid-290's! I lived a lie in that photo and the license still listed my weight as 250! Still living the lie now with that license, but I am 42 pounds under... No way am I editing it. Ha!

Again... Miami game will be my test... Any game plans out there that I should follow... Bueller (Bandit)? Bueller (Bandit)?
;-) ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 22 September 2015 - 02:58 AM.

#83 Observer

Observer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:50 AM

If you want to get your drink on but minimize your insulin spike and caloric intake, go with clear alcohols with high OH content. Think about tequila, club soda, squeeze in a ton of lime. That sort of thing--critically over hydrate during your binge.

For junk foods while tailgating or partying, stay away from the sugars and empty calories like breads, muffins, etc and go for unbreaded foods. Wings are a better choice than other crap. . (Do not take this as a note to say wings are healthy!) .

Chili with no cheese is an awesome healthy choice masquerading as tailgate junk food and you don't look like a douche eating salads at the party.

#84 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

If you want to get your drink on but minimize your insulin spike and caloric intake, go with clear alcohols with high OH content. Think about tequila, club soda, squeeze in a ton of lime. That sort of thing--critically over hydrate during your binge.

For junk foods while tailgating or partying, stay away from the sugars and empty calories like breads, muffins, etc and go for unbreaded foods. Wings are a better choice than other crap. . (Do not take this as a note to say wings are healthy!) .

Chili with no cheese is an awesome healthy choice masquerading as tailgate junk food and you don't look like a douche eating salads at the party.

Awesome Observer! Thanks!

This should be a topic in itself! "How to party and binge and still stay thin!" LoL... Deidcated to the true champions! ;-)

I suppose seafood would be good too, just gotta watch that with some hard liquor???

#85 thebandit27

thebandit27

Armchair Dynasty Architect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,394 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:58 AM

208! I am still hunting for that elusive 196! ;-) This upcoming trip to Fort Lauderdale/Miami will be the test... I don't know what I will do when the booze is flowing and Embassy Suites has the all you can eat full breakfast and Happy Hour... Will I have to be locked into detox this upcoming Tuesday upon return to Chicago? :-O Any advice? I don't want to roll into South FLA as a dieting teetotaler... Should I go just booze and shut my metabloism down or buzzkill dieter and be the designated driver for the drunks I will chilling with? Aren't drunks that booze it up w/no food skinny as a rail? J/K... ;-)

All my numbers are within the normal range and awesome. Biggest thing I noticed was triglycerides (fat in the blood) was way down! That was 54 compared to a whopping 178 in 2010! I did swear off the late night Maxwell Street Polish sausauges! ;-) HDL has always been an issue w/me, I must simply not produce it? That number should be above 40, I always hover around it. 5 years ago, it was 38. 6 months ago 43. Now, it was 40... Actually worse, but right on the normal range. Good to bad cholesterol % was 2.6%... Below 5% is normal. That number used to be above 5% @ around 7%.

They just transferred to a new system so I was a little disappointed that I couldn't get a better snapshot of my vitals over the years... BUT I did get 2010 (first in the previous system)... I was 273 back then and my blood work numbers were a mess... Cholesterol was 270! It is now 120! My doc now cut my new Crestor med RX in half from 40mg to 20mg... Will get retested again in March.

Even know diabetes is in my family... Blood sugar has never been a problem and it is even better now w/this test after an extended fast... Amazing all the years of soda drinking didn't wreck havoc, but I have never been into alcohol or other vices (just a binge a few times a year, like heading to games whatnot). I usually go months and months without a drop of booze. I never smoked either.

Blood pressure was 102/80... I have never seen the top number (sys) that low!

BMI went from 35% to 26! Calculated @ height of 6'3"

By no means I am a health nut... Just a regular nut... BUT it IS all about what you are putting in, way to many calories of JUNK! You either be happy w/it or if not, do something about: put down the fork! In my younger days, I always thought I could just power through and my metabolism would carry me through... Age caught up w/me! It was all a mindset for me and getting to realize I wasn't young any more and could will the fuel into me and away!

I can't remember the last time I was consistently 208? 1998 when my son was born? I was 30 then and started popping up. I know I was 218 in 2001 because I gained over that and remember coming back down below 220. I hovered around 235 for a spell when my son was an infant. 2006 I slimmed down for a while, then inched up after that ending @ fat face disgust with my February 2014 license photo while being in the high 280's and mid-290's! I lived a lie in that photo and the license still listed my weight as 250! Still living the lie now with that license, but I am 42 pounds under... No way am I editing it. Ha!

Again... Miami game will be my test... Any game plans out there that I should follow... Bueller (Bandit)? Bueller (Bandit)?
;-) ;-)

Remember that it's just one day, so if you slip up and have a few treats, it's not a huge deal.

That said, my approach is usually quite simple for these occasions: load up on protein, and only drink hard liquor.  Reason being that it's physically impossible for your body to store alcohol as fat, and it's really, really hard for your body to store protein as fat, so you give yourself the biggest buffer by taking this approach.

I love Observer's suggestion of sticking to wings, meat, etc.

As for the topic of "How to party and binge and still stay thin!", here, it's been covered:

http://www.leangains...r-hedonist.html

http://www.leangains...and-muscle.html

^ Berkhan is a total madman, but he knows physiology and research as well as anyone.  Read those guides when you have a minute, and you'll know how to handle any social eating occasion.

#86 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:40 PM

Wow! Bandit... Thanx... I stumbled into that method my own way and it has been working, I am still dropping, albeit slower, but still working!

I was 253 last visit in March... I am now approaching that magic 200 barrier!

Gr8 links!

I still enjoy all my favorites, I just cut out the bad, piling on routine!

#87 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 01:06 PM

I came back from Miami holding steady!  Even... Staying @ Embassy Suites w/breakfast and happy hour!  :lol:    Weight is staying around 204-210, but still creeping down.  Should be a good weekend, working and wife and daughter flew to BFLO!  :D

Here's a good article:

http://www.cnn.com/2...-diet-exercise/

Sleep!  I know I can burn when I get sleep!  This week being on 1st shift, getting good quality sleep... No snoring, apenia... All my neck fat is gone!  The lowest I seen my weight was 204.

#DeterminedToSeeBelow200

Thanks for all the help... Made some different choices that I normally wouldn't have made in the past!  Being thin, I can actually swim better, so there was always swimming laps @ the hotel pool!

From the article... Gr8 advice...  I have done this all along. I have been OCD on the scale... It pays off!  I know some say don't step on the scale too much, but I do all the time.  It motivates!

"She recommends monitoring your weight, and if it shoots up or down, think about what has changed in your life. You might not be able to avoid these changes, such as stress at work or taking a new medication, but you can compensate for them, by exercising more and making sure to eat well."

#88 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:25 PM

I agree w/ John Goodman... No sugar and no alcohol and anybody can lose weight.  I only had to do half of what he did... I am down to 200 pounds now, almost an even 100!

http://www.kiiitv.co...tic-weight-loss

He was huge @ 400 and still pretty big now but looks gr8!:

http://www.tvguide.c...ow&profileid=01

Myself, I am back into wearing size large shirts!  I was a 3X @ one time!  Down to a 36 waist and can probably squeeze into a 34...

Big thing is like Goodman said: "Sugar and alcohol."  Two killers... Put down the fork!

http://www.foodworld...ounds-sugar.htm

"...However, the 63 year old actor who once said that he is trying to lose weight through a healthy means, credits exercise, sugar free diet and alcohol free lifestyle for his weight loss success.
John, who grew tired of being obese, said he wanted to improve his well- being. "I know it sounds sappy, but it was a waste," Goodman told People. "It takes a lot of creative energy to sit on your *ss and figure out what you're going to eat next. I wanted to live life better."
Goodman practiced sugar free diet after he quit drinking and smoking in 2007. He then asked for help from a fitness expert and author of 'The Fat-Burning Bible,' Mackie Shilstone, who trains celebrities, including Serena Williams, Celebrity Health & Fitness reported.
Shilstone was impressed with Goodman and praised him for hitting the gym six days a week and for religiously following the no sugar diet."

I totally agree with him... It will be a good ski season for me this year!--Especially this:

"John is very agile," the coach said. "He remembers what it feels like to be extremely heavy and it's something he doesn't want again."...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 14 October 2015 - 04:03 AM.

#89 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,285 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:19 PM

i've been slacking off big time in my daily walking, so finally today i put an end to it....went out at lunch and walked valley forge, 4 miles, in an hour....it's really amazing how your mind is everywhere but on the arduous stupid exercise when you walk through a place like valley forge, i was done my walk before i noticed how long I'd been gone.

#90 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

i've been slacking off big time in my daily walking, so finally today i put an end to it....went out at lunch and walked valley forge, 4 miles, in an hour....it's really amazing how your mind is everywhere but on the arduous stupid exercise when you walk through a place like valley forge, i was done my walk before i noticed how long I'd been gone.

Betcha the ones there in the winter of 1777-78 lost a lot of weight without much exercise!  I jest, no offense for a most tragic situation in American history.

Exercise is important,but my whole weight loss thing has revolved around food in.  Eating too much got me into the mess I was in and eating much less has got me out of the jam.  Now exercise has ebbed and flowed, but kinda been steady during the years... Same even now.

I find with myself... The big thing is that dirty 5 letter word: SUGAR!  DO NOT go heavy on any kind.  Even artificial sweetners!  Cut that out and you can eat anything within reason.  I have been hovering around the 205 pound plateau for a while... Stepped on my crappy scale today and saw 202... I am still determined to see a magic 1 in front of those last two numbers!  Then I get into work and of course they we had our Thursday grill/cook out... w/leftovers! :doh:  :wallbash:   BUT that is a good thing... If you over-eat one day, under eat the next dayS.  Mix it all up and confuse your body with intermittant fasts & feasts.  You can modify the fasting with just juice, water, coffee... etc...

JUST keep up the good work Pooj.  Lifestyle change is what it is all about!

It isn't easy anymore for me to just drop what I want like it was when I was heavy... But I am trying to get creative... I just dragged around a heavy two-cycle leaf blower today for about an hour... That will get the abs in shape???  :lol:  :lol:

#91 The Poojer

The Poojer

Just Your Everyday Bastard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,285 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:06 PM

been sticking to my walking and finally got my valley forge trail pace under 15 min/mile today 59:40 for 4 miles, 1:01:56 for 4.15 total, basically i have knocked about 3 minutes/mile off my pace from whence i began.  I still get passed by some walkers like i am standing still, but I was cursed with the short italian legs on my mom's side, so i basically have to jog to get my pace any quicker...just happy that it's getting easier and quicker.  

#92 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

http://ecowatch.com/...g-good-for-you/

Here's a hyperlink on the benefits of intermittent fasting.

#93 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:21 PM

Here is something I have been trying: Lemon juice and water. Lemon juice supposedly lowers the glycemic index of food. What's the word on the street about that... Bandit?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois, 19 November 2015 - 09:22 PM.

#94 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:57 PM

http://www.thehealth...en-ingredients/

Here is a link on it... What do people think?

#95 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,780 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

Still keeping it off... Weighed in 190 yesterday, BP normal (corrected) @ 118/81, BMI @ 24.5%, and body fat 18.5%.... I am at high school and into my early 30's #'s now!

I have been using that HiGi Station thing @ the supermarket pharmacy... LoL...Seems pretty accurate throughout last year. Register and it tracks your progress, emails, the whole techy nine yards...

I haven't really done anything different than... Except eat in moderation and if I have a sedentary day, I stay below my BMR.

It really is simple... I don't have any exercise routine... If you are sitting behind a desk or sedentary, just dont shovel it in... Drink water. If you don't you will get fat... Fat face and neck especially! The pics are truly scary when I look back... Especially, my driver's license.

But... I am keeping the DL! Thank God IL doesn't really ask for photo id when voting... Some battle axe ballot judge probably wouldn't let me vote! I probably shouldn't vote anyway!