88 replies to this topic

#41 Virgil

Virgil

BBFS Infected

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:53 PM

Oh God please no unless it can be turned off.  I don't need any more email.

It was just a notification on the page that you could click and it showed you replies. No emails unless you wanted them.

Also, I think member cred through likes/dislikes is a good idea

#42 PromoTheRobot

PromoTheRobot

Don't get attached to anyone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,655 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:41 PM

I really have little to offer but this. I like TBD as is. Okay, I'm an old fart and change upsets me. But I think TBD gets the job done for me, especially in the mobile version. In fact the only thing I would like to see is the full version allow me to jump to my last read post. (For all I know there is probably a way to do it now that I'm unaware of, but the mobile version just does it by itself.) That's all I got.

Edited by PromoTheRobot, 30 April 2016 - 09:44 PM.

#43 Acantha

Acantha

Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

I really have little to offer but this. I like TBD as is. Okay, I'm an old fart and change upsets me. But I think TBD gets the job done for me, especially in the mobile version. In fact the only thing I would like to see is the full version allow me to jump to my last read post. (For all I know there is probably a way to do it now that I'm unaware of, but the mobile version just does it by itself.) That's all I got.

Clicking on the bubble (or star if you've posted in the thread) to the left of the thread title does that on the full version!  Only problem with it is that the cookies that allow it to work only last for so long, so if you haven't been in the thread for a while it will just open the thread to the first post.

#44 Chef Jim

Chef Jim

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39,602 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:51 PM

It was just a notification on the page that you could click and it showed you replies. No emails unless you wanted them.

That depends.  To me dislikes from you knuckleheads would give me more satisfactions than likes.  :D

#45 The Wiz

The Wiz

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,625 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

I was going to ask about the likes/dislikes for posts.  I thought they had it in the past but can't remember now.  Figure it would be a good way of using metrics for seeing who's just here to crap all over threads.

#46 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

When it's too tough for them it's just right for us

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,239 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:42 PM

As long as the changes dont make TBD blocked at my work again, I'll be fine

CBF

#47 Tony P

Tony P

Charter Bills Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:47 AM

SDS, on 27 Apr 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:SDS, on 27 Apr 2016 - 12:15 PM, said:

Why three columns?

Like many of us, I've been in front of a screen for years as part of my job. Much of that time is with Outlook as the primary screen. I set-up Outlook to have PST files on the left side, Calendar on the right and current emails in the middle (main) area. I guess it's just how my brain works. I can scan upcoming stuff for the day or week on the right and have quick access to files as needed on the left.

So (again, this is just my thought), with 3 columns, I can see all of the current news in the middle section; links to forums, etc. on one side and links to other stuff like Sabres Space, OTW, etc. on the other. This way, the user doesn't have to scroll all the way down to see all of the links like we currently do on TBD. I often find myself losing interest as I scroll down the center section of TBD's daily articles so I may miss some links on the right that could interest me. If they were further up on the left side, it's possible I'd see pay more attention to them.

Would also be cool to always have the schedule on top of one of the columns and that would also be possible with 3.

Finally, I have to believe the vast majority of screens are now wide format so why not take advantage and have content on both sides of the main area?

Edited by Tony P, 04 May 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#48 Rico

Rico

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,101 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:39 PM

Dump Off The Wall. Free-for-all like back-in-the-day, the less structure the better. Shake it up!

#49 ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:08 PM

. . . My suggestion, which I think I made before to you, is to remove anonymity (Facebook or Google plus login required). That would encourage civil discourse since cowards wouldn't hide behind their avatars, especially in the politics forum. 

So your real name is "Observer?"

I hope the site doesn't do this, because I think the site would lose some contributors, not all of whom are rude cowards.

OTOH, you'd lose me, so maybe it's a good idea after all.

#50 Buffalo Barbarian

Buffalo Barbarian

Kyle Williams 95

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,492 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

how about two bills driveisms section with definitions for new guys and forgetful people B-)

#51 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

Jim K is tough but so is being a Bills fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,742 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:51 PM

As long as the changes dont make TBD blocked at my work again, I'll be fine

CBF

Quit your job and live on welfare...

#52 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,239 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:12 AM

Quit your job and live on welfare...

But then I couldnt afford interent...

CBF

#53 joesixpack

joesixpack

#feelsgoodman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,548 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:01 AM

Dump Off The Wall. Free-for-all like back-in-the-day, the less structure the better. Shake it up!

I'm with this.

#54 KD in CA

KD in CA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,711 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

My first thought on this is no, but the reality is you have two (actually three when you consider PPP) very distinct groups of posters and it probably makes sense to combine them in some way (though not PPP since we play by different standards of conduct there).

Certain forums seem to have outlived their usefulness (obvious lack of traffic) and should be deleted/rolled into the main boards.

#55 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,572 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

hell no to likes or dislikes.  this isn't a popularity contest and no one should give two craps about being liked or disliked, especially on the internet.  it may ruin someones self of steam.

My first thought on this is no, but the reality is you have two (actually three when you consider PPP) very distinct groups of posters and it probably makes sense to combine them in some way (though not PPP since we play by different standards of conduct there).

Certain forums seem to have outlived their usefulness (obvious lack of traffic) and should be deleted/rolled into the main boards.

yes.  agreed.  having separate forums works best.

I trust you and am glad to hear you're all about keeping it simple and de-cluttered. 

My suggestion, which I think I made before to you, is to remove anonymity (Facebook or Google plus login required). That would encourage civil discourse since cowards wouldn't hide behind their avatars, especially in the politics forum. 

hahahaha, you really think that'd matter to some?  don't you see what people put on facebook!?

and i would have absolutely not qualms about who i am.  most people here know my name and many have my address, facebook, etc.  i've even posted my cell # before in the tailgating section.  i only once ever got a joker messing with me texting me.  i ended up signing him up for catfacts - one fact an hour for 500 hours.

anonymity is a luxury we must appreciate, thoguh.

#56 mead107

mead107

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,013 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:34 PM

Keep the likes and dislikes off the table. Looks like garbage on other sites

#57 Just Jack

Just Jack

Lifting things up and putting them down

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,810 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

Keep the likes and dislikes off the table. Looks like garbage on other sites

[Jack likes this post]

#58 Canadian Bills Fan

Canadian Bills Fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,239 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

Just thought of this...

Maybe we can have something where we get a notification whenever someone quotes one of our posts?

CBF

#59 KD in CA

KD in CA

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,711 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

I trust you and am glad to hear you're all about keeping it simple and de-cluttered. 

My suggestion, which I think I made before to you, is to remove anonymity (Facebook or Google plus login required). That would encourage civil discourse since cowards wouldn't hide behind their avatars, especially in the politics forum. 

No way, too many nuts out there.

All you need for civil discourse on PPP is logic and reason.  90% of the non-civil discourse on that board is directed at or by a single troll poster.

But then I couldnt afford interent...

CBF

Just sue for it -- the internet is now a civil right.   Oh wait...you're in Canada, nevermind.

#60 /dev/null

/dev/null

All Glory to The Hypnotoad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,932 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:04 AM

Free the Hypnotoad! :P

Edited by /dev/null, 03 June 2016 - 11:04 AM.