9 replies to this topic

#1 mead107

mead107

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,045 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

Got on the shipping scale at work last day of work June 30. On vacation for 2 weeks because of shutdown.
Weight 368. Trying my own type of diet. Next time on scale will be a week from Sunday night. Hoping for good results.

#2 Maury Ballstein

Maury Ballstein

All Pro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,786 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

250 or bust! time to bid farewell to bread, potatoes, pasta for a bit.

Say hello to Mr Broccolli and Brown rice. Good luck.

Trying go 228 to 210 myself somehow.

#3 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,269 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:10 AM

Hey meade... Good luck.  I really suggest trying intermittent fasting.  It is tough @ first, but works.  Try to cut out as much sugar as possible.  Do that and it is simple calories in vs. calories out.  Find a low cal comfort food you can reach for @ times.

If you can find out what your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is, that is a big help!  Go from there.

#4 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,269 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

250 or bust! time to bid farewell to bread, potatoes, pasta for a bit.

Say hello to Mr Broccolli and Brown rice. Good luck.

Trying go 228 to 210 myself somehow.

Not so fast Ryan...

Read this:

http://www.freep.com...esity/86870084/

New study says pasta not a factor in obesity

...We have seen that consumption of pasta, contrary to what many think, is not associated with an increase in body weight,” George Pounis, an author of the study, said in a news release. “On the contrary: our data show that eating pasta results in a healthier body mass index, lower waist circumference and (better) waist-hip ratio.”

But before you go and grab a big bowl of pasta drenched in a fat-ladened al fredo sauce, the study found that pasta only was associated with a lower BMI (Body Mass Index). It didn’t say it can completely lower BMI. And the thrust of the study pointed to pasta being consumed as part of a Mediterranean-style diet...

#5 mead107

mead107

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,045 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

355 at doctors office. Last week on Tuesday

#6 mead107

mead107

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,045 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 09:01 AM

Back from cruise. 1 week Scale at work has me at 354.

#7 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,269 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:18 AM

Back from cruise. 1 week Scale at work has me at 354.

You did say back from cruise! ;-) ;-)

It should be easier, as w/myself, when one is much heavier. It gets harder to drop when one gets lighter.

What are you doing to maintain this weight! An average 200 pound person will burn about 100 kcal an hour sleeping! You should be burning 175 kcal an hour!

175x8= 1,400 kcal.

There is only 16 hours left in the day. I will estimate, basal metabo rate @ 2,000 kcal... Which given your weight must be a lot higher.

Now:

Pound of fat is roughly 3,500 kcal. Only H2O will break fat down. Gotta substitute that wine for water! ;-) ;-) Watch the Stromboli too... ;-) ;-)

Just try shaving off 500 kcal a day and see what happens after 180 days... You will lose 30 pounds doing absolutely nothing new or exercising!!!!

Now alter your diet, eliminate sugar, high fructose corn syrup ONLY... I bet the weight will come off a lot faster!

I know you said you work shift work. Are sleep habits nasty? If your health can handle it: Once a week, throw in a 18-24 hour fast (water okay, little bit, LITTLE BIT, of juice or lemon water okay).

Mix up the routine, keep your body guessing and of course get basic exercise and you SHOULD drop!

Gotta be a way to jump start your body into fat burning (ketosis) mode. Maybe have a Doc check your testosterone levels. Seriously, as you age, like it or not, T levels drop (especially drasticallY between 30-40).

Have you checked thyroid function, what is your iodine intake? Of course, consult medical... Everybody has different issues.

Good luck Meade!

#8 Jerry Christ

Jerry Christ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:22 AM

^ great breakdown! I work on the side in this field so most people aren't even aware that we eat to maintain daily.

#9 boater

boater

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:48 AM

A back injury curtailed my workouts, combined with my rediscovery of beer, and I put on 35 lbs in two years.

I went from comfortable 34" waist to 36+ waste.

I'm not going to monitor my diet by weight loss. When I fit my old clothes = success.

Now... shall I low carb, or do low cal?  Hmmm...

#10 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,909 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

A back injury curtailed my workouts, combined with my rediscovery of beer, and I put on 35 lbs in two years.

I went from comfortable 34" waist to 36+ waste.

I'm not going to monitor my diet by weight loss. When I fit my old clothes = success.

Now... shall I low carb, or do low cal?  Hmmm...

same thing happened to me.  amazing shape, 34" waist @ 6'2 1/2' & 245 lbs.  now about 42" after bruising my discs a year ago.  was told to not workout or do much physical activity for 6 months.  couldn't do that so was told to wait 1 yr

doing low carb myself, but most importantly cutting calories like crazy and increasing protein tons.