45 replies to this topic

#1 BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill

Jim K is tough but so is being a Bills fan

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:45 PM

The following is an updated or edited repeat but the information may be helpful for newbies (and old-timers) as camp and the season approach.

This note is directed primarily to newbies on the board though it can also serve as a reminder to those who have been around for some time about moderator practices now that camp is about to kick off and games are just around the corner. First, if you have not read the board terms of service you should do so. there is a hyperlink to get to them in the lower right hand corner of the screen or here it is:

http://forums.twobil...tion=boardrules

One of the first things you will note from the T.O.S. is that there are not many hard and fast rules. As a member of the board you are largely asked to keep this an active and fun community through the use of good judgement, respect for others and through application of the golden rule. If you do these things you will have no issues with other board members including the mods.

With that said, it is also important to point out that each mod is a board member just like you, we act according to individual judgement, we volunteer to do this and it is SDS's sole discretion if and for how long we may participate in the board community in this capacity. Given that we act independently it is important for you as a board participant to understand that two mods may have very different views on a given situation. I would say that extreme cases of this are rare but small gradations are probably common. To help sort through this "grey" mods do confer with each other on what they deem to be major issues.

Now I will go through a few "Q&A's" about the moderation of the board during the season and games in particular:

Q: Is moderation "tighter" during the season?
A: On the main board in particular, yes. If for no other reason, like the board in general, the mods are more active during the season so things that may have simply been unobserved in the relative quiet of the offseason are noticed. Also, while not through a written rule or standard the mods individually determine if they want to "tighten" things up during the season and it is my observation that generally they do.

Q: For what things will members get warnings?
A: Start with the terms of service http://forums.twobil...tion=boardrules there are not many written standards a direct violation of the t.o.s. will usually lead to a warning. Depending on the severity of the situation the action may also go beyond a simple warning. Beyond the t.o.s. warnings are given out according to individual mod discretion and for what I would call understood but unwritten rules.

Q: What are the understood but unwritten rules?
A; The most basic one is that if as a mod I take the time to PM you about an issue or behavior and explain why it is out of bounds and then you do it again would it be hard to understand why I would escalate to a formal warning or something more severe? I'll explain PPP through another Q&A but if you bring political issues and the "tone" of PPP to other forums you will likely get warned. Finally, the most frequent reason for warnings is simply that attacks of other posters is not tolerated. It is perfectly acceptable to disagree with opinions, thoughts or statements but it is also entirely unacceptable to attack the person communicating those things.

Q: Are long-timers given more leeway or discretion?
A: Probably yes, It is hard to answer this question in a sweeping or general way as again each mod acts according to his or her own judgement and each situation has to be evaluated according to its own circumstances. However, I feel I am on relatively safe ground in saying if two long timers are having some sort of b-slapping exchange with each other, especially off the main board, it is likely tolerated for a bit. You may ask why, and there really isn't a "fair" explanation other than to say the long-timers have earned an opportunity for this because they understand and have generally followed both the written and unwritten rules of the place over a period of time.

Q: Is the main board moderated differently than other forums?
A: Yes, generally it is watched a little more attentively and because it is the "entrance" to the community for newbies and guests the mods try to keep it a little tidier. There is also an unwritten standard that Politics, Polls and Pundits (PPP) is allowed to be a much more lively and passionate place. Given it exists to focus on topics that people take very personally and hold very intense opinions about they do have a lot of room to maneuver in the forum. Also, the primary participants in the forum are long-timers so go to the point above.

Q: How do I post during games?
A: There are four main threads associated with every game that you can post in: Bills official pre-game thread, 1st half thread and 2nd half thread and the around the league thread. Each of the Bills game threads is in turn locked by a mod at kickoff, halftime and end of game respectively. This is done to help with server performance.

Q: Is the shoutbox active during games?
A: Yes, and generally there is at least one mod active in it during games. That mod will do her/his best to keep control of the insanity. You should know that no different than posts, you can be warned about your statements or behavior in the shoutbox.

Q: Speaking of warnings what are they all about?
A: They are a simple tool to help mods communicate with you. I've said elsewhere that if you have a decent number of posts (say 1,000 or more) and you have one or two warnings it is likely a "meh" sort of situation. Of course, it depends on what they are for and to a certain extent how recently they have been issued. The mods do have the ability to look at your warning history and will use this to determine if escalation of action taken is warranted.

Q: If I have an issue with something that is posted what do I do?
A: There is a "report" icon on the lower right hand side that allows you to state what is at issue. Once you use this tool the information is exposed to the moderators who will decide what action(s) to take depending upon the situation.

I hope this information is useful to you. If you have questions drop them in this thread. I'll leave this on the main board for a few days and then punt it over to customer service. Enjoy the season.

#2 gomper

gomper

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:23 PM

No questions, just a big thank you to all that keep this site humming. I think I speak for many of us when I say your work is deeply appreciated. Let's hope it's the kind of season we can enjoy.

#3 GunnerBill

GunnerBill

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,975 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:51 AM

Yea you all do a great job.

#4 Over 29 years of fanhood

Over 29 years of fanhood

Winning the offseason since 2016!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,932 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:00 AM

No questions, just a big thank you to all that keep this site humming. I think I speak for many of us when I say your work is deeply appreciated. Let's hope it's the kind of season we can enjoy.

Yep

#5 SWATeam

SWATeam

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,575 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:50 AM

Thanks to all the mods, you make this board sparkle!

#6 Kirby Jackson

Kirby Jackson

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,263 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:59 AM

This^^

Thank you for keeping this the best place to talk Bills football. While we all do not always see eye-to-eye we all want the same thing to happen. You guys do an incredible job of keeping this board flowing.

#7 mead107

mead107

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,712 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:05 AM

Thanks to SDS and all mods for giving us this place to talk Bills football in a passionate and civil way (sometimes we get a little heated) but in the long run we are here for one reason, Bills football. This place offers the opportunity to get to know other bills fans around the nation and world. It has been a pleasure to meet many and to develop friendships over the years with so many people. Some of us in areas do get togethers for lunch or a drink.

GO BILLS

#8 Beerball

Beerball

The Humpty & Dumpty Show

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,585 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:50 PM

I are an ass.

#9 Gugny

Gugny

TACOCAT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,321 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

Since I've been here, the mods have been quietly spectacular.

#10 Jauronimo

Jauronimo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

I still have Immunity in order to identify, infiltrate, and spy on subversive elements of TBD, right?

#11 Beerball

Beerball

The Humpty & Dumpty Show

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,585 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:42 PM

I still have Immunity in order to identify, infiltrate, and spy on subversive elements of TBD, right?

you do

Your next report is due tomorrow.

#12 DC Tom

DC Tom

Also sniping at retards from the balcony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,114 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

Politics, Polls and Pundits (PPP) is allowed to be a much more lively and passionate place.

Well, that's a polite way of putting it.

And don't forget to tell the newbies: just because I get some leeway to call you an idiot, doesn't mean you get the same leeway to call people idiots.  Get your own shtick.

#13 JohnC

JohnC

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,149 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

Thanks to all the mods who do a good job in keeping the ruffians in line.  :thumbsup:

#14 hondo in seattle

hondo in seattle

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:49 PM

My thanks to all the mods!  They do a great job and tend to create a pleasant atmosphere.  

Especially when enforcing this:  "attacks of other posters is not tolerated."

Well, that's a polite way of putting it.

And don't forget to tell the newbies: just because I get some leeway to call you an idiot, doesn't mean you get the same leeway to call people idiots.  Get your own shtick.

DC Tom, in your mind what's a newbie?  Anyone with less than 10,000 posts?

#15 Augie

Augie

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

I are an ass.

Do you now have to give yourself some warning points?

Thanks to all of you for keeping this running smoothly.

#16 3rdand12

3rdand12

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,150 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

Thanks for the refresher Bill !

I consider it a privilege to be allowed to hang out here.

And thankful to those who tolerate me and my ilk.

Bravo 

#17 DirtDart

DirtDart

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

The following is an updated or edited repeat but the information may be helpful for newbies (and old-timers) as camp and the season approach.

This note is directed primarily to newbies on the board though it can also serve as a reminder to those who have been around for some time about moderator practices now that camp is about to kick off and games are just around the corner. First, if you have not read the board terms of service you should do so. there is a hyperlink to get to them in the lower right hand corner of the screen or here it is:

http://forums.twobil...tion=boardrules

One of the first things you will note from the T.O.S. is that there are not many hard and fast rules. As a member of the board you are largely asked to keep this an active and fun community through the use of good judgement, respect for others and through application of the golden rule. If you do these things you will have no issues with other board members including the mods.

With that said, it is also important to point out that each mod is a board member just like you, we act according to individual judgement, we volunteer to do this and it is SDS's sole discretion if and for how long we may participate in the board community in this capacity. Given that we act independently it is important for you as a board participant to understand that two mods may have very different views on a given situation. I would say that extreme cases of this are rare but small gradations are probably common. To help sort through this "grey" mods do confer with each other on what they deem to be major issues.

Now I will go through a few "Q&A's" about the moderation of the board during the season and games in particular:

Q: Is moderation "tighter" during the season?
A: On the main board in particular, yes. If for no other reason, like the board in general, the mods are more active during the season so things that may have simply been unobserved in the relative quiet of the offseason are noticed. Also, while not through a written rule or standard the mods individually determine if they want to "tighten" things up during the season and it is my observation that generally they do.

Q: For what things will members get warnings?
A: Start with the terms of service http://forums.twobil...tion=boardrules there are not many written standards a direct violation of the t.o.s. will usually lead to a warning. Depending on the severity of the situation the action may also go beyond a simple warning. Beyond the t.o.s. warnings are given out according to individual mod discretion and for what I would call understood but unwritten rules.

Q: What are the understood but unwritten rules?
A; The most basic one is that if as a mod I take the time to PM you about an issue or behavior and explain why it is out of bounds and then you do it again would it be hard to understand why I would escalate to a formal warning or something more severe? I'll explain PPP through another Q&A but if you bring political issues and the "tone" of PPP to other forums you will likely get warned. Finally, the most frequent reason for warnings is simply that attacks of other posters is not tolerated. It is perfectly acceptable to disagree with opinions, thoughts or statements but it is also entirely unacceptable to attack the person communicating those things.

Q: Are long-timers given more leeway or discretion?
A: Probably yes, It is hard to answer this question in a sweeping or general way as again each mod acts according to his or her own judgement and each situation has to be evaluated according to its own circumstances. However, I feel I am on relatively safe ground in saying if two long timers are having some sort of b-slapping exchange with each other, especially off the main board, it is likely tolerated for a bit. You may ask why, and there really isn't a "fair" explanation other than to say the long-timers have earned an opportunity for this because they understand and have generally followed both the written and unwritten rules of the place over a period of time.

Q: Is the main board moderated differently than other forums?
A: Yes, generally it is watched a little more attentively and because it is the "entrance" to the community for newbies and guests the mods try to keep it a little tidier. There is also an unwritten standard that Politics, Polls and Pundits (PPP) is allowed to be a much more lively and passionate place. Given it exists to focus on topics that people take very personally and hold very intense opinions about they do have a lot of room to maneuver in the forum. Also, the primary participants in the forum are long-timers so go to the point above.

Q: How do I post during games?
A: There are four main threads associated with every game that you can post in: Bills official pre-game thread, 1st half thread and 2nd half thread and the around the league thread. Each of the Bills game threads is in turn locked by a mod at kickoff, halftime and end of game respectively. This is done to help with server performance.

Q: Is the shoutbox active during games?
A: Yes, and generally there is at least one mod active in it during games. That mod will do her/his best to keep control of the insanity. You should know that no different than posts, you can be warned about your statements or behavior in the shoutbox.

Q: Speaking of warnings what are they all about?
A: They are a simple tool to help mods communicate with you. I've said elsewhere that if you have a decent number of posts (say 1,000 or more) and you have one or two warnings it is likely a "meh" sort of situation. Of course, it depends on what they are for and to a certain extent how recently they have been issued. The mods do have the ability to look at your warning history and will use this to determine if escalation of action taken is warranted.

Q: If I have an issue with something that is posted what do I do?
A: There is a "report" icon on the lower right hand side that allows you to state what is at issue. Once you use this tool the information is exposed to the moderators who will decide what action(s) to take depending upon the situation.

I hope this information is useful to you. If you have questions drop them in this thread. I'll leave this on the main board for a few days and then punt it over to customer service. Enjoy the season.

Should have added "Mods choose who they take action against", because it is definitley not fair across the board. Generally speaking, thank you for all you do.

Should have added "Mods choose who they take action against", because it is definitley not fair across the board. Generally speaking, thank you for all you do.

Sweet, started the season off right without warning points. Thanx .

Edited by DirtDart, 12 July 2016 - 07:08 PM.

#18 mead107

mead107

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,712 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

I am sure you deserved it. It a badge of honor as long as you do not keep getting them

#19 Beerball

Beerball

The Humpty & Dumpty Show

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,585 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

Sweet, started the season off right with a warning point. Thanx .

I removed a point you idiot dirtdart.

#20 DirtDart

DirtDart

RFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

I am sure you deserved it. It a badge of honor as long as you do not keep getting them

Was supposed to be without! was a typo.

I removed a point you idiot dirtdart.

I know you did Beer, that's why I said "Thanx". That was genuine, just a typo on my part. I meant it sincerely. I should give you a warning point for calling me an idiot :) Where are the mods when I need them.