Jump to content


Photo

Dolphins Cut Branden Albert


  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,645 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

http://profootballta...branden-albert/

 

I'd look at him as an option for RT, plus he can play some guard like he did in college.

 

Bonus that he doesn't count against the compensatory pick formula since he's a cut.



#2 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,029 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:52 PM

http://profootballta...branden-albert/

 

I'd look at him as an option for RT, plus he can play some guard like he did in college.

 

Bonus that he doesn't count against the compensatory pick formula since he's a cut.

My guess is that he's more broken down than we think.



#3 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,645 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:55 PM

My guess is that he's more broken down than we think.

 

Probably--13 missed start over the last 3 seasons.  As always with guys his age, it comes down to value--will he take a cap-friendly deal for a chance to start?



#4 Coach Tuesday

Coach Tuesday

    All Pro

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,862 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:56 PM

His best bet is to sit out training camp and wait for an injury to cause some team to get desperate and overpay.  He's a vet who has played in multiple systems.  Keep your body fresh and cash in.



#5 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,645 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

I also want to repeat that this release is the de facto reason that it made absolutely zero sense for Albert to stay at LT and Tunsil to play LG last season.

 

Tunsil had never played guard, whereas Albert had.

Tunsil was undoubtedly going to be on the team in 2017, whereas Albert was very likely to depart.

 

What were they thinking making a rookie learn a new position just to move back to his original position a year later, when they could've simply moved an aging vet back to the position he played in college for 3 years?



#6 dave mcbride

dave mcbride

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,029 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

I also want to repeat that this release is the de facto reason that it made absolutely zero sense for Albert to stay at LT and Tunsil to play LG last season.

 

Tunsil had never played guard, whereas Albert had.

Tunsil was undoubtedly going to be on the team in 2017, whereas Albert was very likely to depart.

 

What were they thinking making a rookie learn a new position just to move back to his original position a year later, when they could've simply moved an aging vet back to the position he played in college for 3 years?

"Win now" drives such decisions. It worked too -- they made the playoffs for the first time in many years. I get the logic and approve of it.



#7 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,645 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

"Win now" drives such decisions. It worked too -- they made the playoffs for the first time in many years. I get the logic and approve of it.

 

I don't think "win now" applies to a new coach like Gase as much as it does to a guy like Rex, and I also speculate that their OL could've been as good (if not better) with Tunsil at LT.

 

That's not to say that you're wrong, but rather to say that I value long-term vision of team-building (and, to a more direct point, OL building) more than a win-now philosophy.



#8 SWATeam

SWATeam

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

He's a Rochesterian, I'm in!



#9 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55,745 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:14 PM

He's a Rochesterian, I'm in!

didnt know that

#10 Hyphe23

Hyphe23

    UDFA

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:15 PM

Didn't he leave KC because he wanted to play LT and get LT money?

#11 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,645 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

Didn't he leave KC because he wanted to play LT and get LT money?

 

He did play LT in KC.  He left in FA because he wanted to be the top-paid LT in football, and didn't want to play another year on the franchise tag.



#12 SWATeam

SWATeam

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:21 PM

 

He did play LT in KC.  He left in FA because he wanted to be the top-paid LT in football, and didn't want to play another year on the franchise tag.

Has he ever played RT?  I haven't followed him that close



#13 YoloinOhio

YoloinOhio

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55,745 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

Ryan Clady also out in NY. They have nothing at either tackle position.

#14 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,645 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

Has he ever played RT?  I haven't followed him that close

 

I don't think so...

 

Ryan Clady also out in NY. They have nothing at either tackle position.

 

Clady still gets classified as a compensatory free agent since his option wasn't picked up.



#15 ndirish1978

ndirish1978

    Hall of Famer

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:40 PM

Both of those guys have been injury-prone for a few years. I wouldn't invest anything more than a minimum incentive-laden contract for either of them and they will both likely want more than that. Not worth it.



#16 jeffismagic

jeffismagic

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:42 PM

He's injured all the time. Bills always injured. Pass.



#17 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,645 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:43 PM

He's injured all the time. Bills always injured. Pass.

 

He's started 35 of 48 games over the last 3 regular seasons...that's not "injured all the time"

 

He also never missed a game in the previous 6 seasons for KC.

 

If you think that his health is declining, that's fine, but let's stick to the facts.



#18 jeffismagic

jeffismagic

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:47 PM

 

He's started 35 of 48 games over the last 3 regular seasons...that's not "injured all the time"

 

He also never missed a game in the previous 6 seasons for KC.

 

If you think that his health is declining, that's fine, but let's stick to the facts.

 

He started 72% of the time meaning the other 28% of the time he was not available. He was also often injured even when playing in the games, kind of like a WR we have.



#19 thebandit27

thebandit27

    Armchair Dynasty Architect

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,645 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 01:56 PM

 

He started 72% of the time meaning the other 28% of the time he was not available. He was also often injured even when playing in the games, kind of like a WR we have.

 

Yes, I know, anyone that's ever missed a game is injured all the time (even when they don't miss games).

 

That's the NFL--guys play through injuries.  Period.  Availability is what's important.

 

In the 17 games that Miami played this year, Albert missed 4.  He was listed on the injury report in 2 others, so unless he told you otherwise, the assertion that he was often injured the rest of the time (let alone more injured than the hundreds of other NFL players not listed on injury reports on a weekly basis) is baseless speculation.



#20 jeffismagic

jeffismagic

    Veteran

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

 

Yes, I know, anyone that's ever missed a game is injured all the time (even when they don't miss games).

 

That's the NFL--guys play through injuries.  Period.  Availability is what's important.

 

In the 17 games that Miami played this year, Albert missed 4.  He was listed on the injury report in 2 others, so unless he told you otherwise, the assertion that he was often injured the rest of the time (let alone more injured than the hundreds of other NFL players not listed on injury reports on a weekly basis) is baseless speculation.

 

I get what you're saying. It was just my understanding that Albert was more hurt than most even when starting.