As best I can discern this is the plan following the events of this week. Perhaps the future of the Bills is linked with that of Kirk Cousins (and, arguably, a combination of Marcus Mariota and Jared Goff).
1. Cut the trio of Holmes/Davis/Ducasse (at this point none is essential) to secure extra third round pick in 2018.
2. Shop Ragland for mid-round pick.
3. Attempt to win in 2017 with Tyrod at QB.
4. Use 2017 to build culture; determine who wants to be here, who does not, and who are the bad seeds (if any) who need to be removed.
5. If Tyrod is not the long-term answer at QB, then attempt to secure QB through FA. Top (and perhaps only) targets are Kirk Cousins and Jimmy Garropolo.
6. If successful, apply 2018 draft capital in part to build team quickly, and in part to selectively move down to secure additional selections in future years.
7. If unsuccessful in obtaining QB through free agency, hope that (a) a team other than NYJ, Cleveland, and SF (all of which are likely to draft QB) holds one of the first three picks, and (b) attempt to trade for that pick using draft capital. Perhaps the Rams having an awful year, and Marcus Mariota playing well, is a reasonable hope for this. In the alternative, hope that Kirk Cousins signs in SF, or Garropolo in CLE, or both, and then attempt to trade for such pick using draft capital.
8. If neither path to a QB is available, and if not at the top of the draft, select perhaps a second-tier QB (e.g., Lamar Jackson, Mason Rudolph, etc.) with one first-round pick, hope for the best, and continue to build as outlined in step 6.
9. Win. A lot. And especially 2x year against NE.
Edited by SectionC3, 12 August 2017 - 02:22 PM.