116 replies to this topic

#61 Reed83HOF

Reed83HOF

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:01 PM

In May 2005, as a Divorce present, I bought a 52" Toshiba DLP (model 52HM84) Consumer reports rated it best in value which was $2500...My sister and a bunch of friends work at the Best Buy. I spoke with everyone and this was the best $$ for a TV; if you want to spend serious $$$, the new Sony Bravia's are definately worth it.

The DLP was more appealing because replacing a $300 bulb every 3 years, you get a new TV...the Plasma's, well they look great, the picture deteriorates and can't be fixed, most of the $$$ models are good for approx 70,000 hrs (if I remember correctly)...I just couldn't spend the $$ on them...The LCD was the other I was looking at more resonably priced than the Plasma and still a good picture...

It was bewteen the Toshiba I got and the Sony LCD, about $500 more than the Toshiba, (not the flat one - again a $300 bulb every few years)...looking at the pictures and playing around with the features between the 2 TVs; the Toshiba had a much better pic and was cheaper...I don't not regret my decision..DVD's look great and so do the DTV HD channels...The non HD channels even look pretty good using the HDMI...

#62 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:20 AM

I had pretty much written LCD off, but the current crop is actually very impressive. Still not even close to the Pioneer Elite Pro-FHD 1080 50" plasma that I saw at Best Buy a month ago....but the new Samsung LCDs are very, very nice. Westinghouse also makes a 1080p MONITOR - that is to say, it doesn't have a tuner....you need a cable box or some other source that you can connect via HDMI or component - that is a lot of bang for the buck. Rico has one of these sets and everything he's said about it has been positive.

The fact that I'm having such a hard time deciding on what to buy tells me that this is a great time to be in the market for a new display. I research the hell out of everything before I buy, and I can see pros/cons in all these options. If there were a simple solution, I wouldn't be planning to get BOTH a new projector and a plasma/LCD! :thumbdown:

#63 crackur

crackur

blah blah blah blah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:06 AM

I think plasma is horrid compared to LCD

my sister said it best........ Plasma is like looking out the window with it down to ur view, thats what you see

with LCD, its like looking out ur window with the window up ........NO shiny or reflection that you get with a plasma

#64 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:33 PM

I think plasma is horrid compared to LCD

my sister said it best........ Plasma is like looking out the window with it down to ur view, thats what you see

with LCD, its like looking out ur window with the window up ........NO shiny or reflection that you get with a plasma

View Post

I never really paid much attention to the reflective glass until yesterday. The sales guy at BB tapped on the glass of the plasma, and then ran his finger on the screen of the LCD to show me how it was actaully a liquid. I work nights, so a lot of my viewing will be when I get home in the morning before I lay down....so that's definitely another plus for LCD....no glare :D

I'm pretty much decided on a samsung LCD....the things are just beautiful!

#65 Reed83HOF

Reed83HOF

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:52 AM

I never really paid much attention to the reflective glass until yesterday. The sales guy at BB tapped on the glass of the plasma, and then ran his finger on the screen of the LCD to show me how it was actaully a liquid. I work nights, so a lot of my viewing will be when I get home in the morning before I lay down....so that's definitely another plus for LCD....no glare :doh: 

I'm pretty much decided on a samsung LCD....the things are just beautiful!

View Post

Samsung has been making some great TV products, even when I was looking last year, I was impresseed with the picture...the Best Buy staff had lots of positives to say about it...

Do you have DTV? The HD stations look unbelievable, Hockey, basketball, Channel 95 during the baseball season is YES HD when the yanks are on...its wow, Thursday nights they have the NFL network games on HD on this station...

As I said...for me it was between the DLP or LCD...My gf was talking to one of her friends at work, they bought a plasma a couple years ago and they hate it...they wish they went with the DLP or LCD...

#66 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:32 AM

the Best Buy staff had lots of positives to say about it...

I'd probably buy the opposite of what they recommended.... :doh:

#67 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:40 AM

Samsung has been making some great TV products, even when I was looking last year, I was impresseed with the picture...the Best Buy staff had lots of positives to say about it...

Do you have DTV? The HD stations look unbelievable, Hockey, basketball, Channel 95 during the baseball season is YES HD when the yanks are on...its wow, Thursday nights they have the NFL network games on HD on this station...

As I said...for me it was between the DLP or LCD...My gf was talking to one of her friends at work, they bought a plasma a couple years ago and they hate it...they wish they went with the DLP or LCD...

View Post

I have digital cable right now, but I play to get either DTV or Dish when I move into a new place in a month or two. DTV has the sunday ticket, but Dish has the most HD channels, including NFL Network in HD. So I'm torn, cause I tend to work on sundays anyway....

I was very hot for a plasma tv until I saw how good the LCDs looked. I am planning to get more into gaming and I watch a lot of my tv in the daylight hours since I work nights....so the LCD sets have an advantage there. But honestly, I thought the samsung 1080p LCDs looked every bit a good as the pioneer and panny plasmas that I saw at BB. I compared them side by side and just found myself loving the Sammys.

#68 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:42 AM

I'd probably buy the opposite of what they recommended....  :doh:

View Post

:P

At least they're right about SOMETHING! :lol:

I have to admit, though, Blu-ray is looking pretty good....I still plan to get that ever elusive HD-DVD player first, but the three BD demos I've seen have all looked amazing to me. I think the numbers clearly indicate that the BB folks are clueless when it comes to realizing who's winning the sales game, but BD doesn't suck

#69 Reed83HOF

Reed83HOF

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:08 AM

I'd probably buy the opposite of what they recommended....  :doh:

View Post

#70 Reed83HOF

Reed83HOF

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

I have digital cable right now, but I play to get either DTV or Dish when I move into a new place in a month or two. DTV has the sunday ticket, but Dish has the most HD channels, including NFL Network in HD. So I'm torn, cause I tend to work on sundays anyway....

I was very hot for a plasma tv until I saw how good the LCDs looked. I am planning to get more into gaming and I watch a lot of my tv in the daylight hours since I work nights....so the LCD sets have an advantage there. But honestly, I thought the samsung 1080p LCDs looked every bit a good as the pioneer and panny plasmas that I saw at BB. I compared them side by side and just found myself loving the Sammys.

View Post

I almost switched to the Dish, due to the HD channels they have; but they didn't have Sunday ticket or YES, being a yankee fan...I need YES...On DTV with the HD package, the Thursday night games come in on channel 95 in HD

you are doing the right thing, reaserching it on your own..asking others for their opinions and then using you eyes to see what's best for you...

If I had to do it over again now...I would personally go with the Sony Bravia LCD's...if I was able to get a deal and swing the XBR version...it would be no contest...at the time I got my DLP...this was by far my best choice for the money...it holds up well during the day and with the lights on at night...you can also see a good pic from the side....The only complaint I have is when viewing whites you can see the texture of the projection screen...I have trained my eyes not to notice it as much....

#71 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:33 AM

I almost switched to the Dish, due to the HD channels they have; but they didn't have Sunday ticket or YES, being a yankee fan...I need YES...On DTV with the HD package, the Thursday night games come in on channel 95 in HD

you are doing the right thing, reaserching it on your own..asking others for their opinions and then using you eyes to see what's best for you...

If I had to do it over again now...I would personally go with the Sony Bravia LCD's...if I was able to get a deal and swing the XBR version...it would be no contest...at the time I got my DLP...this was by far my best choice for the money...it holds up well during the day and with the lights on at night...you can also see a good pic from the side....The only complaint I have is when viewing whites you can see the texture of the projection screen...I have trained my eyes not to notice it as much....

View Post

Yeah, I have to agree....the sony's and the sammy's stood out at BB, with the Bravia XBR2 (or was it XBR3? I dunno) having an edge over the Sammy's. If this was going to be my main display, I'd jump up to the Bravia....but since my projector will be the centerpiece of my little HT area, I'd rather put the money toward that. I'll drop $1100-1500 on a Samsung lcd and I'll be good to go in terms of games, sports, and casual viewing.

I actually didn't even think about my baseball needs until you m entioned that. I thought the "YES" channel was like the Marv Albert network or something :doh: There WAS a channel down here called 'Bravesvision', which I watched all the time....but I think TBS canceled it and took over HD broadcasts themselves. I'll need to make sure I can get TBS-HD with whatever dish or cable system I choose. I don't have many baseball needs, but I do enjoy watching the Braves play....especially in HD :lol:

#72 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:54 PM

I have to admit, though, Blu-ray is looking pretty good....I still plan to get that ever elusive HD-DVD player first, but the three BD demos I've seen have all looked amazing to me. I think the numbers clearly indicate that the BB folks are clueless when it comes to realizing who's winning the sales game, but BD doesn't suck

View Post

The newer releases don't suck (assuming they play, aka Speed), but I've yet to read a review saying that the PQ is *better* for a BD movie than it is for an HD-DVD movie (and I HAVE seen the opposite happen) :)

If current trends continue, everyone will be releasing movies on HD-DVD except for Sony. :)

CW

#73 ajzepp

ajzepp

TBD's Resident Focker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,256 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 06:13 PM

The newer releases don't suck (assuming they play, aka Speed), but I've yet to read a review saying that the PQ is *better* for a BD movie than it is for an HD-DVD movie (and I HAVE seen the opposite happen) :)

If current trends continue, everyone will be releasing movies on HD-DVD except for Sony. :)

CW

View Post

Yeah, and I think we both agree that if HD-DVD had the same backing among the Best Buy and CC drones as BD does, it would probably be no-contest. I was just shocked to see an HD-DVD player on the floor when i stopped in the other day!

#74 stevestojan

stevestojan

Maybe NEXT year.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:32 AM

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am in the market (still havent pulled the trigger with all the different options)

Anyway, I just bought my XBOX 360 and can't wait to get to see it in HD!!

I am definitely looking for VALUE. Sorry, but I can't spend thousands on a TV.

I have Time Warner, and already have the HD box (wanted to be ready as soon as i got the TV), so I wont need a tuner built in.

I ordered a 37" no-name (Olevia) LCD. I still have a week in which I can cancel the order. I'm not considering this read projection HD monitor...

What do the resident experts think? Reviews seem positive for the most part...

http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do

THANKS!

#75 bartshan-83

bartshan-83

it's a whole new ballgame...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,948 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 08:36 AM

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am in the market (still havent pulled the trigger with all the different options)

I have Time Warner, and already have the HD box (wanted to be ready as soon as i got the TV), so I wont need a tuner built in.

I ordered a 37" no-name (Olevia) LCD. I still have a week in which I can cancel the order. I'm not considering this read projection HD monitor...

THANKS!

Steve, I asked about Olevia in the thread you started below about buying an HDTV. AJ was the only one to respond and he didn't really know much about them. I am very close to picking up a 32 or 37 myself, as everytime I have gone into the stores the quality looks just as good if not better than the Sonys, Samsungs, etc.

The only negative I have heard about them was a HD channel mess-up that was occurring only with the 32" models. So far, I've heard nothing bad about the 37. I mean, it's not a top-end TV, but for the price it appears to have few complaints. Let me know how you like it cause I'm probably going to get one myself.

#76 joesixpack

joesixpack

#feelsgoodman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,620 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:20 PM

THANKS!

"Recommendation:

Panasonic Projection LCD.

Bought one about a month ago and VERY happy with my purchase. Excellent picture quality, wide viewing angle, and best yet, the price was right."

Price was right = $1400 give or take for a 52" Projection LCD, tax and delivery included.

#77 RayFinkle

RayFinkle

Shocking...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

"Recommendation:

Panasonic Projection LCD.

Bought one about a month ago and VERY happy with my purchase. Excellent picture quality, wide viewing angle, and best yet, the price was right."

Price was right = $1400 give or take for a 52" Projection LCD, tax and delivery included.

plus $300 every three years to replace the blub. No thanks...

#78 joesixpack

joesixpack

#feelsgoodman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,620 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:07 AM

plus $300 every three years to replace the blub. No thanks...

That's a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to get a plasma or flat LCD repaired.

And it's about $230, not $300.

So you can have a beautiful TV for 6 years total cost $1700 or so. Did I mention my set is 51"? Try buying a 51" flatpanel for $1700 even.

#79 WellDressed

WellDressed

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:08 AM

I had pretty much written LCD off, but the current crop is actually very impressive. Still not even close to the Pioneer Elite Pro-FHD 1080 50" plasma that I saw at Best Buy a month ago....but the new Samsung LCDs are very, very nice. Westinghouse also makes a 1080p MONITOR - that is to say, it doesn't have a tuner....you need a cable box or some other source that you can connect via HDMI or component - that is a lot of bang for the buck. Rico has one of these sets and everything he's said about it has been positive.

The fact that I'm having such a hard time deciding on what to buy tells me that this is a great time to be in the market for a new display. I research the hell out of everything before I buy, and I can see pros/cons in all these options. If there were a simple solution, I wouldn't be planning to get BOTH a new projector and a plasma/LCD! :lol:

I own an Elite Pro150 FD (8th generation)60" plasma; my previous television was a Pioneer Elite Pro530--53" CRT Rear Projection. I used to sell this type of equipment. In terms of sheer black level CRT was the only technology that could produce "blacker than black" I got the Elite 60" plasma in Feb. from day one I was blown. For Christmas, I bough a TV for my parents, they wanted an LCD, 32-42" I bought a Panasonic...I forget the model. I was really enamored with the brightness and the true whites. The drawback was their off axis viewing. If you sat three feet off of center, the picture looked all washed out.

If you have the money get a Pioneer Kuro (9th generation are or are already out) That is the best video display on the market. Flat out hands down, one look (properly configured settings) and you will be hooked.

GO GET ONE!!!!!

#80 Chilly

Chilly

Formerly Known as BlueFire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,289 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

I ,too, like Plasma displays better than LCDs for PQ, but I'm a bit cautious on them due to burn-in, especially with how it will work from playing hours of console games at a time.