116 replies to this topic

#101 EZC-Boston

EZC-Boston

Racing Season...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

Latest update: I've been trying to order the TV for the past week, getting the run-around at one place, and then ordering it from another yesterday. Then today I saw the price drop to $2221.99 at one site and ordered it. Later I found it for $2299.97 from Amazon and figured that the $78 more would buy me piece of mind in getting it from a highly reputable seller like Amazon. The thing should ship tomorrow and I should get it sometime next week. Yeah!

Congrats. I bought my TV through Amazon and had absolutely no problems. Best decision I ever made.

#102 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

Congrats. I bought my TV through Amazon and had absolutely no problems. Best decision I ever made.

Thanks and that's what I'm expecting (i.e. having no problems). I only wish I'd looked at Amazon earlier in the day yesterday because I might have been able to get it delivered sooner.

#103 RkFast

RkFast

Schmuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

BlueFire....Got the same one in 46"

two questions....

Do you have a "halo" and did you fix it?

How is the sound out of the woofers at low volume, like under ten, especially when listening to dialouge (like on a news channel)? Im getting a lot of distortion.

#104 BringMetheHeadofLeonLett

BringMetheHeadofLeonLett

Practice Squad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:08 AM

This is an old thread, but, hey, figured I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for a TV. I edit & color film/HD for a living... I write the colors that make the whole world sing...

I work on Sony and Panasonic studio monitors at work, but have a Samsung LCD 1080p at home. The Pioneer's are tough to beat in the eye-candy department- thay're beautiful in fact, but they're not as true, in my ho, as the Samsung when it comes to accurate representation of the blacks- they crush the image down, a bit too hard, to add to the perceived richness. (I'm not slamming any TV here, part of me loves the syruppy beauty of the high-end plasmas- I'm offering what I believe more closely reproduces the images I work on)

120hz refresh doesn't really do much for any smear, as we're recording, editing, colouring(extra 'u' for grandiosity), and ultimately broadcast at 59.94fps. You get to see the same frames/fields at twice their refresh rate, which is nice and all, but they're the same frames. The image can be digitally altered between each refresh but, then you wouldn't have a true image.

24fps is still the best frame rate we have for duplicating the natural cadence of life, as our viewing eyes can perceive it.

The reason I'd say 1080p is that I think that's where we'll land as a broadcast standard in the US.

Skipping around this thread a bit, it was kinda funny looking back as technology advanced- cool post.

#105 Fan in San Diego

Fan in San Diego

Old Sage from way back when.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,415 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

This is an old thread, but, hey, figured I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for a TV. I edit & color film/HD for a living... I write the colors that make the whole world sing...

I work on Sony and Panasonic studio monitors at work, but have a Samsung LCD 1080p at home. The Pioneer's are tough to beat in the eye-candy department- thay're beautiful in fact, but they're not as true, in my ho, as the Samsung when it comes to accurate representation of the blacks- they crush the image down, a bit too hard, to add to the perceived richness. (I'm not slamming any TV here, part of me loves the syruppy beauty of the high-end plasmas- I'm offering what I believe more closely reproduces the images I work on)

120hz refresh doesn't really do much for any smear, as we're recording, editing, colouring(extra 'u' for grandiosity), and ultimately broadcast at 59.94fps. You get to see the same frames/fields at twice their refresh rate, which is nice and all, but they're the same frames. The image can be digitally altered between each refresh but, then you wouldn't have a true image.

24fps is still the best frame rate we have for duplicating the natural cadence of life, as our viewing eyes can perceive it.

The reason I'd say 1080p is that I think that's where we'll land as a broadcast standard in the US.

Skipping around this thread a bit, it was kinda funny looking back as technology advanced- cool post.

Have you seen the new LED HD TV's ? Samsung makes the best LED's and at 55 inches as well. The picture is eye popping to say the least.

#106 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

http://www.engadgeth...laymates-tests/

#107 Pete

Pete

circle the wagons friends

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,715 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:48 PM

Have you seen the new LED HD TV's ? Samsung makes the best LED's and at 55 inches as well. The picture is eye popping to say the least.

I just bought that 55" Samsung and love it!

#108 IndyMark

IndyMark

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

Ok, so I have re-read this thread and the one below on TVs overall.........and have looked on CNET and other electronics forums and still do not feel super confident with what my next TV purchase should be......I currently have a rear projection Mitsubishi (early 90's) and while it 'works' for watching TV, it apparently is too dated to work with current gaming technology. For instance, when I connected a recently purchased Wii the screen went about as deep red and green and basically black as it can....really unusable.

So I am still left wondering what type of TV I should go with? It is important to note the prime use of this TV would be for Wii with minor DVD playback and DTV watching;

It appears Plasma burn-in is more myth than reality. Yet, LCD still has pixelation issues and the OLED is out of my price range. If I stumble on a super cheap / discounted DLP would that be a 'smart' purchase?

The distance for most viewing and Wii playing would be 7-10 feet, with the Wii playing being the closer distance. And TV will be in a living room with windows (not like in a media room or basement room with limited natural light).

While I am confident I can muddle through this, I also note and appreciate the fact most posters on this forum have more expertise and experience with electronics than I. 1/2 of me thinks go to Walmart and buy ANY cheap new TV and it will be fine.....then the other 1/2 thinks I should be a bit more intentional and ask for help.

Any and all thoughts would be most appreciated.

Oh, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, and Merry Christmas....the way my work schedule goes, I am on break and hence why I am on TBD on this great evening!

#109 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

Mark -

One thing to keep in mind is that the Wii only does 480 lines of resolution - so you won't get HD like you do with the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

That said, it probably doesn't matter too much what you go with. I'm partial to plasma due to the better color reproduction - and that's what I have my Wii connected to. Panasonic is the best price/performance at this point in time. A 42 or 48" 720p plasma will be great for your usage. It has less input lag as well, which probably woulldn't be a problem with a Wii, but is something to think about.

That said, if you can get a great deal on an LCD, that will work great for you as well.

Check slickdeals.net frequently. :thumbsup:

#110 IndyMark

IndyMark

UDFA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

Mark -

One thing to keep in mind is that the Wii only does 480 lines of resolution - so you won't get HD like you do with the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

That said, it probably doesn't matter too much what you go with. I'm partial to plasma due to the better color reproduction - and that's what I have my Wii connected to. Panasonic is the best price/performance at this point in time. A 42 or 48" 720p plasma will be great for your usage. It has less input lag as well, which probably woulldn't be a problem with a Wii, but is something to think about.

That said, if you can get a great deal on an LCD, that will work great for you as well.

Check slickdeals.net frequently. :wallbash:

Much appreciated; on several levels - thanks.

I spent a bit of time today shopping in-store and online with a lot of haggling in person and it looks like a plasma it will be. Panasonic and Samsung both have attributes and price points that are attractive to me and both have deals that will include a free blu-ray dvd player......however, the store manager is willing to reduce the Samsung at a larger rate than the Panasonic to make the price irrelvant (per se) as the Samsung started out higher.......seems like retail simply wants to move product. I have to think this is good for the consumer.......like you mentioned above, given the lack of sophisticated use on my end, I am sure either line will be great.

Thanks again......

#111 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

Much appreciated; on several levels - thanks.

I spent a bit of time today shopping in-store and online with a lot of haggling in person and it looks like a plasma it will be. Panasonic and Samsung both have attributes and price points that are attractive to me and both have deals that will include a free blu-ray dvd player......however, the store manager is willing to reduce the Samsung at a larger rate than the Panasonic to make the price irrelvant (per se) as the Samsung started out higher.......seems like retail simply wants to move product. I have to think this is good for the consumer.......like you mentioned above, given the lack of sophisticated use on my end, I am sure either line will be great.

Thanks again......

Can't go wrong with Samsung either - not as good as Panny, but close enough. :wacko:

Enjoy! :)

#112 Fan in San Diego

Fan in San Diego

Old Sage from way back when.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,415 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Ok folks, which technology does the best with motion blur like in a football game? LCD, Plasma or LED?

#113 John Adams

John Adams

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

I got mine 2 years ago but plasma was hands down the best for quality. It's a little thicker and runs a little warmer but the quality was best. I'd read reviews these days as technology is changing rapidly.

#114 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I got mine 2 years ago but plasma was hands down the best for quality. It's a little thicker and runs a little warmer but the quality was best. I'd read reviews these days as technology is changing rapidly.

Plasma is still the best. And don't worry about burn-in, that problem was solved a long time ago for 99% of the population.

LED is just referring to the backlight or edgelight. The picture is still LCD and therefore has most of the same "issues" as a regular LCD screen.

#115 ExiledInIllinois

ExiledInIllinois

Making It Flow Backwards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,269 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Plasma is still the best. And don't worry about burn-in, that problem was solved a long time ago for 99% of the population.

LED is just referring to the backlight or edgelight. The picture is still LCD and therefore has most of the same "issues" as a regular LCD screen.

I am getting a little nervous. Two Christmas ago we picked up a 52" Samsung plasma... The thing is great... BUT after a year, we lost picture and menu... Except sound. The price was so incredibly low @ 600 bucks that I bought the extended warranty for 99 bucks extra. Good thing we did, Geek Squad came right out and troubleshot the thing... It needed a whole new screen... A few days later, he swapped the screen out like a breeze. Amazing how there is nothing to these TV's, really. Processor, speakers, screen all in a thin case. How simple it looked! Anyway, the reason I am getting nervous is that the TV is on all the time... My son mainly watches it. It does seem to click really loud and have a bright flash when you turn it on. Is this normal? As with burn in, from watching Cartoon Network, their logo does not really move... You do get a slight ghost image if you look carefully. I am just wondering if we just got unlikely the first time or there is a rash of screen problems with this model Samsung plasma? Oh well... I got another 2 years left on the extended warranty! I have been following their break-in procedure too. I was also wondering if it is best to just leave it on and shut the picture off by shutting the source cable set top box off? Any suggestions on how to get longevity from a plasma would be much obliged! It is such an awesome set, great picture... I want it to last this time. Oh, I was super careful with delivery too. That isn't so much an issue anymore with the plasma gas, right? They just don't want you flexing the screen and breaking the glass, right?

I heard it is best for darker, closed rooms... Plasma that is. That is why we went with it, it is actually in my son's bedroom. Now, my living room is well light with natural light and wide open... I am assuming LCD or LED would be better for that room?

#116 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I am getting a little nervous. Two Christmas ago we picked up a 52" Samsung plasma... The thing is great... BUT after a year, we lost picture and menu... Except sound. The price was so incredibly low @ 600 bucks that I bought the extended warranty for 99 bucks extra. Good thing we did, Geek Squad came right out and troubleshot the thing... It needed a whole new screen... A few days later, he swapped the screen out like a breeze. Amazing how there is nothing to these TV's, really. Processor, speakers, screen all in a thin case. How simple it looked! Anyway, the reason I am getting nervous is that the TV is on all the time... My son mainly watches it. It does seem to click really loud and have a bright flash when you turn it on. Is this normal? As with burn in, from watching Cartoon Network, their logo does not really move... You do get a slight ghost image if you look carefully. I am just wondering if we just got unlikely the first time or there is a rash of screen problems with this model Samsung plasma? Oh well... I got another 2 years left on the extended warranty! I have been following their break-in procedure too. I was also wondering if it is best to just leave it on and shut the picture off by shutting the source cable set top box off? Any suggestions on how to get longevity from a plasma would be much obliged! It is such an awesome set, great picture... I want it to last this time. Oh, I was super careful with delivery too. That isn't so much an issue anymore with the plasma gas, right? They just don't want you flexing the screen and breaking the glass, right?

It may not look like the logo is moving, but they generally do -- I can't remember if the network makes them move ever so slightly or if the TV somehow shifts the pixels around, but it's generally not too big a deal. In addition, if you DO see ghosting, I've read that nowadays it goes away over time. Never tried it since I don't leave one channel on all day. :)

As for the loud click and bright flash -- the click might be normal (like when you turn a receiver on), but a bright flash sounds odd. I've never seen that on a TV before. :/

I heard it is best for darker, closed rooms... Plasma that is. That is why we went with it, it is actually in my son's bedroom. Now, my living room is well light with natural light and wide open... I am assuming LCD or LED would be better for that room?

Plasma generally has a more reflective screen, so if you have a lot of lights, you might get some glare. It all depends on the angle of light to the angle of the TV. My in-laws have a plasma TV and they have a wall of windows right next to it, but it's not a problem because that light doesn't bounce off of the TV. If they put it across from the windows, it might be an issue though, and in that case LCD would be better (although you'll still see SOME glare, just less of it).

#117 mead107

mead107

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,042 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 07:38 AM

Up date for 2017? Any good ones ?