#21 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

So you've never once missed a turnoff...? :blink:

And I guess you haven't been to WNY in a long time where the street signs are so faded you really can't see half of them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :(

For several years I have worked as a freelance sports writer for local newspapers, and as such I get to drive to high schools out in the middle of nowhere. A few years back we were living in Orlando and three hurricanes hit Central Florida, and in the process the wind knocked out tons of street signs, knocked down some exit signs, and generally made driving very difficult for several months. Several times I got lost in close-by urban areas, simply because the street signs were gone. An extreme example, yes, but I would have killed for an affordable GPS system.

Nowadays I cover some high school sports in Northeast Ohio, and as the shortest-tenured freelancer I usually get to the games way out in the middle of nowhere. There's no way in hell I am trying to navigate rush-hour traffic and trying to follow road maps and street signs, especially not in the winter. Plus they can help find alternate routes in seconds, find close-by businesses, etc. For me GPS units are worth their weight in gold, and are worth every penny.

EDIT: I know that sounds funny, considering I was complaining about the cost of map upgrades, but my complaint isn't the cost, but rather the apparent razor-blade model the companies are using on their lower-end units. Why pay $70 for a map upgrade on a $100 unit when you can spend another $50 and get a much newer GPS with more features and the upgraded maps?

#22 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:09 PM

Not that I know of. Map data is expensive to produce, and therefore is expensive to purchase...

Don't know how long this will last or if this is their regular price, but Amazon.com has the Garmin 2009 Map Update for $49.99 with free Super Saver Shipping.

http://www.amazon.co...a...9803&sr=8-1

#23 blzrul

blzrul

Is it "ready aim fire" or "ready fire aim?"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,848 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

For several years I have worked as a freelance sports writer for local newspapers, and as such I get to drive to high schools out in the middle of nowhere. A few years back we were living in Orlando and three hurricanes hit Central Florida, and in the process the wind knocked out tons of street signs, knocked down some exit signs, and generally made driving very difficult for several months. Several times I got lost in close-by urban areas, simply because the street signs were gone. An extreme example, yes, but I would have killed for an affordable GPS system.

Nowadays I cover some high school sports in Northeast Ohiom and as the shortest-tenured freelancer I usually get to the games way out in the middle of nowhere. There's no way in hell I am trying to navigate rush-hour traffic and trying to follow road maps and street signs, especially not in the winter. Plus they can help find alternate routes in seconds, find close-by businesses, etc. For me GPS units are worth their weight in gold, and are worth every penny.

EDIT: I know that sounds funny, considering I was complaining about the cost of map upgrades, but my complaint isn't the cost, but rather the apparent razor-blade model the companies are using on their lower-end units. Why pay $70 for a map upgrade on a $100 unit when you can spend another $50 and get a much newer GPS with more features and the upgraded maps?

You could always get a GPS-enabled phone and subscribe to the service monthly. At AT&T there are $9.99/mo plans for a fixed number of route. Unlimited is $19.99/mo I think. That puts it into a little perspective. Same functionality, really and no need to worry about maps.

#24 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:18 PM

Don't know how long this will last or if this is their regular price, but Amazon.com has the Garmin 2009 Map Update for $49.99 with free Super Saver Shipping.

http://www.amazon.co...a...9803&sr=8-1

Sweet! I just ordered it. There's been a lot of road construction in Wisconsin, so hopefully this helps make the trip across the state a little less "noisy" -- don't like Jill yelling at us that we're off the road :rolleyes:

#25 Bmwolf21

Bmwolf21

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

Sweet! I just ordered it. There's been a lot of road construction in Wisconsin, so hopefully this helps make the trip across the state a little less "noisy" -- don't like Jill yelling at us that we're off the road B-)

:rolleyes:

I think I'll be ordering that as well. I also saw that Best Buy had the same update for $59, and I have a couple BB gift cards left over from my birthday, so I may go that way.

#26 Boyst62

Boyst62

Hall of Farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,960 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

I just wanted to remind everyone to plug in their GPS Unit to their computer to their computer. I had not done it in over a year and have found it is operating much faster then it was prior. You do not have to purchase a new map or anything with Garmin, just update your software.

I have a Nuvi205w.

#27 Fan in San Diego

Fan in San Diego

Old Sage from way back when.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

I use the Google Maps app on my Iphone 5 and it rocks. Speaks the directions plus ha traffic conditions so I avoid heavy traffic and accidents.