#21 LABillzFan

LABillzFan

Plan Ahea!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,684 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:21 AM

You're seriously asking this question....? You work in the biz! :D

As was stated, there are different aspect ratios. Here's a link that may help explain it:

http://www.hometheat...home/wsfaq.html

The only movie I've seen is WALL-E. Looked very good, although I didn't like the major delays everytime I selected a menu option. :(

I've been holding off on watching other films until I get a new projector in mytheater, hopefully in the next week or so. :)

Yes, I understand aspect ratios :beer:. I just made the mistake of thinking that a Blu Ray disc would always fill the 16:9, or at the very least, have nomimal bars. And like I said, some movies, like Pirates of the Carribean do fill the entire screen, so it's a little frustrating when some don't.

We have Wall-E in the queue, but the BD does such a good job at upconverting, that the regular DVD we have still looks pretty awesome. Obviously that's the case with most of the animated flicks like Bee Movie, Cars, etc., so I'm kind of curious to see how much better the Blu Ray versions of those flicks will be. I'm really not in the mood to buy all these movies again.

#22 UConn James

UConn James

I'm a little behind on my paperwork

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

Yes, I understand aspect ratios :wallbash:. I just made the mistake of thinking that a Blu Ray disc would always fill the 16:9, or at the very least, have nomimal bars. And like I said, some movies, like Pirates of the Carribean do fill the entire screen, so it's a little frustrating when some don't.

We have Wall-E in the queue, but the BD does such a good job at upconverting, that the regular DVD we have still looks pretty awesome. Obviously that's the case with most of the animated flicks like Bee Movie, Cars, etc., so I'm kind of curious to see how much better the Blu Ray versions of those flicks will be. I'm really not in the mood to buy all these movies again.

I would definitely not buy movies again just to be able to say you have them on BD. The upconvert is good enough. Kids don't really give a whit anyway... and how much longer are they going to be watching those movies? For new pickups, go with BD if you want to, but replacing a library gets f---ing expensive.

#23 Fan in Chicago

Fan in Chicago

Holier than thou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

I am also thinking of buying a BD player. The Netflix ability is key to me - won't buy a player without it. It looks like this feature may catch on and if it does, it may prove to be a big blow to Blockbuster (who I dislike anyway).

#24 LABillzFan

LABillzFan

Plan Ahea!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,684 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:48 PM

Finally got the Panny BD35 on the network, and put BD Live to work for the first time (with "Transformers"). Not sure how content compares given this is the first run, but the BD Live features for this flick are cool as hell. Need to put in an SD card (min 1 GB). You can definitely see the benefits of this feature. Unfortunately it was the only Blu Ray flick I have with a BD Live feature, but there's no question Fez was right. I almost got a player without BD Live, and I can tell I'd be regretting it right now.

If anyone finds some cool content on any of their flicks, let me know. I just tried the GPS Tracker for "Transformers" and it's the kind of thing my son will completely dig. Tracks the robots as well as the military guys, gives background information on characters, etc., while you're watching the movie.

Here's hoping the studios really push this technologies capabilities.

#25 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

Finally got the Panny BD35 on the network, and put BD Live to work for the first time (with "Transformers"). Not sure how content compares given this is the first run, but the BD Live features for this flick are cool as hell. Need to put in an SD card (min 1 GB). You can definitely see the benefits of this feature. Unfortunately it was the only Blu Ray flick I have with a BD Live feature, but there's no question Fez was right. I almost got a player without BD Live, and I can tell I'd be regretting it right now.

If anyone finds some cool content on any of their flicks, let me know. I just tried the GPS Tracker for "Transformers" and it's the kind of thing my son will completely dig. Tracks the robots as well as the military guys, gives background information on characters, etc., while you're watching the movie.

Here's hoping the studios really push this technologies capabilities.

You seriuosly have to put an SD card in....? :thumbsup:

I have Transformers on HD DVD and it used all of the internal memory. You can even download "themes" to make your menus look different. Kinda neat.

#26 LABillzFan

LABillzFan

Plan Ahea!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,684 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:27 AM

You seriuosly have to put an SD card in....? :wallbash:

I have Transformers on HD DVD and it used all of the internal memory. You can even download "themes" to make your menus look different. Kinda neat.

That "theme" thing is an option on BD Live as well. Essentially, you're downloading the app to the SD card and running it from there instead of from the player's harddrive. The GPS Tracking feature I mentioned earlier was a blip on the card.

#27 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

That "theme" thing is an option on BD Live as well. Essentially, you're downloading the app to the SD card and running it from there instead of from the player's harddrive. The GPS Tracking feature I mentioned earlier was a blip on the card.

Still lame that you need to use a card.... :wallbash:

#28 Mr Info

Mr Info

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:47 PM

I was looking for deals right around Christmas and ended up buying a Sony 46" XBR6 from Sears for 2,099 and they threw in the Sony BDP-S350 and a couple of BD disks (Hancock and Wall-E). I could have obtained the set cheaper through the net but not both of them - plus, I was able to get 3 years interest-free at Sears. BB had the same price but would only do 18 months and no free BD player. So far, very happy with both. I may purchase the add-on device for for the XBR6 to search/browse the web for video content.

Anybody check this out? Boxee

Boxee's CEO - "Don't assume we have lawyers. That's expensive."

#29 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

Many have told me the best blu-ray player is a Sony Playstation 3, because it can do more than just play movies (like say, play games). There is an offer from Sony where if you apply for their (Visa) credit card and buy the PS3 (for $400 plus tax and shipping), they give you $100 off immediately. And if you charge $1,500 worth on the card over the first 3 months you get $100 back, and an additional $100 if you charge another $1500 over the next 3 months. So the player in-essence costs you $100 plus tax and shipping.

http://www.sonystyle...t/index.php/0/1

#30 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:37 PM

Many have told me the best blu-ray player is a Sony Playstation 3, because it can do more than just play movies (like say, play games). There is an offer from Sony where if you apply for their (Visa) credit card and buy the PS3 (for $400 plus tax and shipping), they give you $100 off immediately. And if you charge $1,500 worth on the card over the first 3 months you get $100 back, and an additional $100 if you charge another $1500 over the next 3 months. So the player in-essence costs you $100 plus tax and shipping.

http://www.sonystyle...t/index.php/0/1

You're making a classic money mistake though -- yes, you can apply that money towards the PS3. But guess what? You can also apply it towards other stuff instead so you are still spending YOUR money -- the PS3 doesn't magically become $100 because those other $100 cash-backs could've been applied towards anything you wanted.

In addition, watch out for the fine print: Does not include tax or shipping and handling fees.

Dell's had some deals recently where you can get ~$50 off from them, and get free shipping. You can get an Amazon.com card and buy a PS3 there and get 3% off (plus whatever deal they have going, plus free shipping/tax in most states).

Most people will already know if they want a PS3 or a regular player. The PS3 used to be the best BD player on the market, mainly because none of the other ones were finished yet and since the PS3 can be upgraded via the network it was more future proof. That's really no longer the case when you can buy a BD player (such as the Panasonic BD35) for ~$200. A coworker bought the BD35 plus 4 movies from Amazon for around $210 right before Xmas.

One key negative to the PS3 for most people is that it does not work with a regular IR remote (unless you spend more money on an ugly IR dongle).

If you're already in the market for the PS3, then it makes a competant BD player. If not, go standalone.

#31 VOR

VOR

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:26 PM

You're making a classic money mistake though -- yes, you can apply that money towards the PS3. But guess what? You can also apply it towards other stuff instead so you are still spending YOUR money -- the PS3 doesn't magically become $100 because those other $100 cash-backs could've been applied towards anything you wanted.

That's not exactly true. To get the first $100, you need to buy the PS3, which knocks it down to $300, plus tax ($24, ground shipping is free). Amazon is selling it for $400, but admittedly no tax, but I still save $76. Beyond that, getting $200 back for $3000 spent is a pretty good deal anyway you slice it, especially when you include the initial $100. Most of my other cards pay me 1% back. So in essence, I'm getting the PS3 for a lot less than I would have otherwise. Unless there are better credit card deals/cashback offers that I don't know about.

Most people will already know if they want a PS3 or a regular player. The PS3 used to be the best BD player on the market, mainly because none of the other ones were finished yet and since the PS3 can be upgraded via the network it was more future proof. That's really no longer the case when you can buy a BD player (such as the Panasonic BD35) for ~$200. A coworker bought the BD35 plus 4 movies from Amazon for around $210 right before Xmas.

I just checked Amazon and they're over $400.

One key negative to the PS3 for most people is that it does not work with a regular IR remote (unless you spend more money on an ugly IR dongle).

That's a good point.

#32 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:24 PM

That's not exactly true. To get the first $100, you need to buy the PS3, which knocks it down to $300, plus tax ($24, ground shipping is free).

You could still spend the other $200 on a different player though -- therefore the PS3 isn't really only $100. :worthy: If you're in the market for one though, it's a decent deal because of the initial $100 off. Dell has recently been having deals on the PS3/Xbox 360 as well for 15-20% off (making the PS3 roughly $320-$340 with free shipping), so the Sony deal isn't that much hotter - just a little.

I just checked Amazon and they're over $400.

That's actually not from Amazon -- they've been sold out for awhile apparently and haven't restocked for some reason... The selling price from that other retailer is over MSRP! Crazy!

I know Costco had it (BD35) locally last week for about $230 because a coworker of mine bought one. Of course that adds tax...

#33 Fan in Chicago

Fan in Chicago

Holier than thou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

For those interested in Netflix streaming, here is a EnGadget shootout. I know it is slightly off topic but it does have reviews of Samsung and LG BD players with Netflix capability.

#34 BillsNYC

BillsNYC

I'm Drunk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

I had a chance to buy an Insignia Blu Ray player for $150 yesterday and passed. Good choice?

#35 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:05 AM

I had a chance to buy an Insignia Blu Ray player for $150 yesterday and passed. Good choice?

Yeah, I wouldn't buy that.

Of course like I said, the only one I'd consider at this point is the BD35.... Except it's now been discontinued. :thumbsup: They're releasing another new model soon (if they haven't already).

#36 Fan in Chicago

Fan in Chicago

Holier than thou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't buy that.

Of course like I said, the only one I'd consider at this point is the BD35.... Except it's now been discontinued. :doh: They're releasing another new model soon (if they haven't already).

I would say that the reviews for the Samsung BD-P2500/2550 are also pretty good with much anticipation for the upcoming 3600. I have never purchased a Sammy product but looks like this will be the first time. If only the prices would start going down instead of up as they have recently. When I am ready to buy, I hate these sophisticated inventory management systems which keep the prices from dropping. :)

#37 sweet baboo

sweet baboo

Live Free or Die

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

not an issue anymore (in terms of ugliness)

http://www.engadget....3-get-official/

at least for a harmony remote

#38 Fezmid

Fezmid

DirecTV Advocate again!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,800 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:15 AM

at least for a harmony remote

Lots of people don't use Harmony remotes. <_<

#39 birdog1960

birdog1960

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

bought a sony bd 58 last week to replace an older panny non bd player/recorder. in short, it's going back. lot's of jaggies, motion artifact, and grossly unstable images. tried it both through my reciever and directly to my projector with the same results. put the panny back in and everything is good. maybe it's a bad unit but the build quality doesn't compare to the panny. it also doesn't have optical out (my current pj doesn't have hdmi input so i use component video and optical audio). i was able to set it up to use hdmi audio but it's pretty awkward. remote is crap also.

i did learn the benefits of better cable, however. trying out the new bd, i overstretched my old component cables and had to buy (and will have to reroute through the wall and ceiling) new cables. i went to better shielded and robust cables. i had always thought the very faint hum bars especially on sd tv were source related but there now almost totally gone. when i go to hdmi with a new pj i'll buy a top quality cable.

Now i'll have to keep looking for a good bd player. oppo, another panny or maybe an onkyo to match my receiver. i wonder if somehow the scaler/video processor in the onkyo receiver might mate better from a blueray signal from an onkyo bd player?

#40 birdog1960

birdog1960

All Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:18 PM

think i've solved the mystery of the lousy picture: copyright protection kills component blu ray. beware if you plan on using a blu ray with component out- it won't work even on existing players.